May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Some might call the San Jose Sharks receiving a late 5-on-3 advantage in Game 3 after the Los Angeles Kings got one in Game 2 “justice.” Others may label it as two wrongs not making a right. Kings winger Dustin Penner deems it a gutsy call.
“I find it very tough to believe that a player as intelligent as Trevor would run the goalie,” Penner said. “I asked him and he said he was pushed from behind. I believe him. I’m disappointed in the refs that they could make a gutsy call like that in the last 30 seconds of a period. It’s pretty impressive when you have enough gall to guess. I’m going to look at the tape and see if he got pushed because I know what it is like to drive the net.”
Lewis, 26, said he didn’t think it was a penalty.
Want to see for yourself? This video clip includes both penalties:
“Tough call to make, going down 5-on-3,” Fraser said. “He’s going to call it as he sees it. We came within inches of killing them off.’
Instead, the Sharks won 2-1, reducing the Kings’ series lead down to 2-1. That left Los Angeles complaining … but probably not enough to get fined $100K.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)