May 19, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Some might call the San Jose Sharks receiving a late 5-on-3 advantage in Game 3 after the Los Angeles Kings got one in Game 2 “justice.” Others may label it as two wrongs not making a right. Kings winger Dustin Penner deems it a gutsy call.
“I find it very tough to believe that a player as intelligent as Trevor would run the goalie,” Penner said. “I asked him and he said he was pushed from behind. I believe him. I’m disappointed in the refs that they could make a gutsy call like that in the last 30 seconds of a period. It’s pretty impressive when you have enough gall to guess. I’m going to look at the tape and see if he got pushed because I know what it is like to drive the net.”
Lewis, 26, said he didn’t think it was a penalty.
Want to see for yourself? This video clip includes both penalties:
“Tough call to make, going down 5-on-3,” Fraser said. “He’s going to call it as he sees it. We came within inches of killing them off.’
Instead, the Sharks won 2-1, reducing the Kings’ series lead down to 2-1. That left Los Angeles complaining … but probably not enough to get fined $100K.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 20
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)