May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks fell victim to a late 5-on-3 power play in Game 2. A similar situation helped them beat the Los Angeles Kings in Game 3 on Saturday as Logan Couture won it 2-1 in OT.
Let’s talk about it.
- How about Couture’s night? He went from being questionable to return from an injury to scoring the OT winner with just a little bit of time remaining on what was left of the Sharks’ PP. (It was actually down to a 5-on-4.)
- What about the calls? Were the two penalties (Robyn Regehr for hooking, Trevor Lewis for goalie interference) justified, were they examples of “make-up calls” or could it be some combination of the two?
- The Sharks carried a heavy 40-27 shot advantage, finally besting Jonathan Quick. Even so, there’s the possibility that the reigning Conn Smythe winner is “in their heads.” Do you think that is true?
- Joe Thornton left many stats-leaning people marveling on Twitter. Is he still an elite player? What about his Hall of Fame credentials (or lack thereof)?
- Both teams get a big break as Game 4 won’t happen until Tuesday. Which squad benefits the most from the breather?
- Do the Sharks need to win Game 4 to have a real chance to win this series?
- More directly: which team do you think will advance to the Western Conference finals?
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 10
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)