May 19, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks fell victim to a late 5-on-3 power play in Game 2. A similar situation helped them beat the Los Angeles Kings in Game 3 on Saturday as Logan Couture won it 2-1 in OT.
Let’s talk about it.
- How about Couture’s night? He went from being questionable to return from an injury to scoring the OT winner with just a little bit of time remaining on what was left of the Sharks’ PP. (It was actually down to a 5-on-4.)
- What about the calls? Were the two penalties (Robyn Regehr for hooking, Trevor Lewis for goalie interference) justified, were they examples of “make-up calls” or could it be some combination of the two?
- The Sharks carried a heavy 40-27 shot advantage, finally besting Jonathan Quick. Even so, there’s the possibility that the reigning Conn Smythe winner is “in their heads.” Do you think that is true?
- Joe Thornton left many stats-leaning people marveling on Twitter. Is he still an elite player? What about his Hall of Fame credentials (or lack thereof)?
- Both teams get a big break as Game 4 won’t happen until Tuesday. Which squad benefits the most from the breather?
- Do the Sharks need to win Game 4 to have a real chance to win this series?
- More directly: which team do you think will advance to the Western Conference finals?
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Will not return.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
Pair of forwards going to San Jose.
Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Dallas unsuccessful on that power play.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
Dec 7, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
After 20 seasons, this could be it.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
He had three head or neck injuries last season.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
He’s battled injuries the past two seasons.
Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
He was their fourth-round pick in 2009.
Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
He was the Panthers’ all-time leader in assists.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Losing blue liners is not optimal.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
It’s getting grumpy in Winnipeg.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
That’s a big sigh of relief for Boston.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
It’s all about the chances.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
- Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 13
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)