Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers

May 19, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT

Bruins Getty Images

The Boston Bruins are showing signs that they’re gathering strength in these playoffs.

The Bruins took a 2-0 series lead over the New York Rangers in this best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal with a 5-2 victory on Sunday evening.

Let’s discuss.

• Tuukka Rask solid again for Boston. He made 35 saves for his third straight playoff win.
  • Good news for the Bruins: Gregory Campbell scored his first playoff goal since 2011.
  • The Bruins coughed up two earlier leads in this game, but weren’t going to give up on the third one. After taking a 3-2 lead into the third period, Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic scored to put the Rangers away.
  • So, it only took Rangers’ forward Rick Nash nine games but he now has his first of these playoffs. His goal at 3:20 of the second period tied the game at 2-2.
  • In the opening round, the Rangers fell behind the Washington Capitals by a two-games-to-none deficit before winning the series, so perhaps they will draw on that for motivation heading to Game 3 in New York.
  • What will Rangers’ coach John Tortorella have to say about this?
  1. kissmytaintpatriotsrule - May 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Lundqvist is the most overrated goalie in the NHL. The guy wilts under pressure. Right about now he’s probably throwing his team under the bus again. He needs to pretend he doesn’t play for New York and show some class, if he has any….

• sportsfreak13 - May 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

The rangers going 2-31 on powerplay doesn’t help any though. Lundqvist does seem to be wilting after carrying his team through the first round.

• sabatimus - May 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Well, as blackfoot11 said below, Henrik can only do so much. The B’s scoring chances have been astronomical. That and anybody else notice that Henrik may have injured himself in the last 5 or 6 minutes? He appeared to be skating something off around the crease area during a stoppage.

• 8man - May 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

As the game ended and the Spokes were leading 5-2, I was saying to the wife, “The Bs should just let them score on this power play to take the edge off.”

I just know that the Rangers will get a power play at a critical time, and the announcers will say something like, “New York’s power play has been dismal in this series..and…Nash with the rebound…he scores!”

• 19to77 - May 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

“We gave it to them. We gave it to them,” said Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist, as per a tweet from Michael Hurley of CBSBoston.com.

“I don’t think they had to work really hard to get a couple of goals.”

Aaaaand right on time, Hank with the bus-throw!

• hockeyflow33 - May 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Maybe but their two losses are certainly not his fault. Girardi was the main culprit on three B’s goals today and the rest of his defense was horrible.

2. sabatimus - May 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

At this point, benching Krug for Ference, Redden, or Seidenberg is absurd. Guy has gobs of talent.

• nunan - May 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Seidenberg needs to be in there over any of the rookies..but I don’t think it will be Krug. He’ll replace Hamilton, probably.

• nunan - May 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

That being said, the more they win, the more time it gives Seidenberg to heal and not rush back.

• sabatimus - May 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Bartkowski has earned his ice time this series, so yeah, if and when there’s an odd man out, it’s going to be Hamilton.

3. bigbadbruins77 - May 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

where are all you ranger fans at when I told you Tukkaa was better before the season started!?! What time is it? 5 past Lundquist! Not bad for 3 rookie d men on our blue line. Including two with less than what 5 NHL games? WOooo!!! I knew the rags would get rolled over. called it.

• anthonykornheiser - May 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Congrats!!! You called it and you’re right woooo!!! When is the parade??? And you’re only directing task being better than lundqvist to NYR fans? What about hockey fans in general?

• 8man - May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Easy friend. These games don’t matter. No hat, t-shirt or trophy involved. In this round and the round before it, you are either moving out the fodder or being the fodder getting moved out.

It takes 16 wins. The Spoke are at 6. Nothing to celebrate yet.

• sabatimus - May 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I celebrate every won game. With relief. I don’t celebrate each game like the sore winner up there.

• jimeejohnson - May 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Should have stayed classy big bad.

• hockeyflow33 - May 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Rask certainly is not better than Lundqvist and it is very concerning how often Rask does not make the clutch save. Both goals today, while not all his fault, need to be stopped. He needs to make the saves that continue to carry momentum for the team.

• bruininnh1984 - May 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

seriously?? i thought rask made some huge saves in that 2nd period while the game was still up for grabs. bruins turned the puck over in their own zone a couple times forcing rask to make those saves. if it wasn’t for rask, the bruins might have been down going into the third or tied at the worst

• hockeyflow33 - May 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Agreed, he played really well. He’s just had issues all season making that clutch save, regardless of whether he even has a chance to make a save or not.
        I’m unfairly holding him to the Timmy T standards so I’m being a bit ridiculous haha.

• tfaltin - May 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Congrats on winning two home games. You’d think Boston fans would know better than to celebrate early. Smart collection of fans who know the Rangers were down 2-0 to Washington, know how they were down 2-0 to Vancouver, and certainly remember the Flyers 3-0 collapse and the recent comeback against Toronto in game 7. Cocky pricks like Mr. “Bigbadbruins” are the fans who give their team a bad name. If you think these two games so far have been one team “rolling over” another, then you didn’t watch the first two periods of this game where Tuukka was the only reason the Rangers didn’t have 5.

• homelanddefense - May 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM

You would think you would know better than to classify ALL of the Bruins fans because of a few loud mouths on the comment section of prohockeytalk.com

Im a Bruins fan and I cringe when I read comments like his….

• lombardisshineinfoxborough - May 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

there’s a ton of hockey left to be played, and the vast majority of Bruins fans know the game well enough to realize that the Bs have only held home ice thus far. But I have to take issue with any NYR fan, or NY fan in general, calling anybody else a ‘cocky prick’ given that there’s absolutely no shortage of Rangers’ fans that fall into that category. I’ve lived in New York for 10 years now and still can’t figure out why so many Rangers’ fans act like yankees fans when the Rangers have hoisted the Cup once over the last 60 years.

• tfaltin - May 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

-> Cocky pricks like Mr. “Bigbadbruins” are the fans who give their team a bad name.

I was addressing that one fan, Bruins-nation.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 20, 2013 at 11:48 AM

lombardisshineinfoxborough,

It’s one cup in 73 Years for the NYR.

• bigbadbruins77 - May 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM

“cocky pricks” I didn’t see any name calling in my post, I believe someone posting things like that could be considered a prick..You’re right, Tuukkaa played well, because like I said at the beginning of the season, he’s better than Lundquist. Rangers are toast. Just not the same team anymore.

• bigbadbruins77 - May 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Who says I was celebrating? looks like I was calling out those ranger fans that flipped out on me at the start of the season. If it doesn’t apply to you, then don’t worry about it. looks like a bunch of whiners on here! Stay classy? Sore loser? Jeeze whatever happened to some friendly poking/banter when you’re team wins. I do it my hockey buddies every game. We don’t get all offended by it and cry. I am not calling anyone names, and wouldn’t have posted anything except right before the season started I had a bunch of butt hurt ranger fans blow up on me over saying Tuukka is better than Lundquist, which I love Lund, but it’s the truth. He didn’t earn much love by blaming the OT loss on his team either, “I can’t score too”. Next time I’ll just be a politician and post what the people want to hear! Oh wait, I usually do pick out positives, but after the trades the rangers made (losing grit and Gabby), lundquist having an average season at best, and Callahan/Richards look like they have a lost two steps; it’s hard to pick out anything positive. Of course the series is far from over, but this is exactly what I thought would happen to the start of the season, and especially at the start of the series. Same for penguins, not impressed with your defense or goaltending. Bruins are the beasts of the east. The west has some crazy talent though!

4. joestemme - May 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The depth of the 3rd and 4th lines are what ultimately turned the game. The B’s were actually fortunate to be ahead at the end of the 2nd period. Plus, the Rangers’ power play did again “stink” using the word of their overworked coach.

5. matthews4 - May 19, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I would actually play an extra defenseman and bench Peverly, and for the love of Orr put Grandpa on the 3rd line and let the kid play with big boys. He is outplaying Jags on a dreadful line.

• hockeyflow33 - May 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

And that’s why you don’t coach hockey

• 19to77 - May 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Oh, please. Jagr’s playing badly and even he knows it. He’s said as much to the media himself. He’s out of gas.

• hockeyflow33 - May 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Maybe but he still draws double teams and opens things up for Marchand and Bergeron. He’s the best puck possession player on the team and still the biggest threat on the PP.

Please tell me a successful team that dresses seven defensemen

6. 8man - May 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Caps were in the same position about two weeks ago. Lets see what happens in NY. My experience with history tells me Thursday nights game is huge.

Go Bs!

• blackfoot11 - May 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I am a Caps fan and the difference is that the B’s are balanced O & D, and my Caps have O with an inconsistent D. Know that you are humble but the B’s have more control of a 2-0 lead on the road than my Caps.

• tfaltin - May 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Sad but very true. The Caps are flawed, the Rangers are flawed, but the Bruins, when Lucic plays like a big boy at least, are solid through and through.

7. blackfoot11 - May 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Lundquist can only do so much. Torts’ days are numbered.

8. smd28 - May 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

When seidenberg is ready then Hamilton should sit. He is not yet ready to play the defensive scheme and is out of position too much. Bartkowski and Krug. Should continue to play even when ference and redden are ready. Those guys are huge liabilities when playing defense.

• drewsylvania - May 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Couldn’t have said it better. Krug and Bartkowski are both difference-makers right now. Ference has a habit of being a difference-maker for the other team…

9. phinfan527 - May 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Rangers and Jets doing well so far!! Keep up the crap!! Please!!

10. joejacks - May 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Maybe Torts will say that Oates is right and that he will get beaten like a fool in a fight. Rangers are finished!!

11. pastabelly - May 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’m not crazy about people dumping on Ference. He lost a step, but was a key part of this team for a few years and we all know that he’s a free agent and might retire. I agree that it’s time for the kids. They all move the puck well and that’s what the Bs need. What concerns me now is how the Bruins let down when they lead in series. Hopefully, they finally learned their lesson.

12. ebergevin - May 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM

hockeyflow33,

How exactly was Rask supposed to stop Callahan’s breakaway? All the criticism there belongs to Marchand’s lazy carry and Hamilton’s poor position and then getting beat. Barring that, Rask really only got beat once. Pretty solid game I’d say.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

He was covering the short side and then bit on the short side fake … so .. there’s a start.

Getting beat by Nash was stoppable too.

The defense was certainly at fault but they were both stoppable. Goalies like Hasek, Brodeur, and Roy made their legends making saves like those in the playoffs. Come playoff time, making the last line of defense save separates the good goalies from the legends.

He had an excellent game besides those two mistakes and Boston. His second period was quite a show. The Bruins have a nice young goaltender with a good future ahead of him.

13. tlndma - May 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Hamilton minus 2 yesteday. He moves the puck really well but, has slow feet. He’ll sit for Seidenberg when it’s time. Redden or Ferrence in for Bartkowski or Krug is a lot tougher decision. Redden is not much of an upgrade defensively and Ference doesn’t bring the offense like the two kids.

I’m really suprised at NYs lack of forechecking pressure. Yesterday there were times when Chara looked really tired yet NY could not take advantage. Getting Seidenbeg back to play with Z could be huge for Bs as he’d be a more reliable partner for him.

Anyone saying Tuukka didn’t come up big yesterday is nuts.

14. crusty14 - May 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

@tfaltin

Bigbadbruins is the only one I see here being cocky. Any bruin fan knows it ain’t over til it’s over! Unfortunately the Bs have issues with closing out series…..hopefully they can correct it and perhaps end this thing in 5 and get some much needed rest before the next round.

• tfaltin - May 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I didn’t convey the message very well, but when I said:

“Cocky pricks like Mr. “Bigbadbruins” are the fans who give their team a bad name.”

I was addressing that one fan in particular.

Listening to some of the other chatter in the Boston area, though, you get painted a different picture. However, if Tuukka keeps outplaying Hank and Lucic keeps playing with authority and earning his contact, it won’t be the long series I anticipated.The Leafs hung with the Bruins because of PPG’s. It doesn’t take Pierre McGuire to see that the Rangers can’t do that.

• blackfoot11 - May 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM

T, although you singled-out “BigbadBruins” later in your post. Most are stuck on your second sentence where you stated “You thnk Boston fans…”. That is what got B’s fans going.

15. cspsrbums - May 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Why do you all worry about tfaltin he is a clown Anthony and him call names and talk down to people constantly if you not a rangers fan. He hides behind his computer

Top 10 NHL Player Searches