May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
When you take a look at the teams left in the postseason, there’s something most of them has that shows what helped get them there. Having a dominant two-way forward that can both score and defend against the opponents top line gives them a double threat.
Players like this year’s Selke Trophy finalists in Patrice Bergeron, Jonathan Toews, and Pavel Datsyuk show having a weapon like that will get you places in the postseason. As Chicago coach Joel Quenneville told the Associated Press, it makes life easier to have them in the lineup.
“You need those kind of players to win, to be successful. Because you’re going to have times, usually half the time in your shift you’re going to be in your own end or you’re going to have to be defending,” said Quenneville, “and knowing where you have to go and coming up with loose pucks or forcing these guys to make indirect plays where you get the puck back, there’s a skill involved there and there’s some work that’s involved.”
You look elsewhere and you can throw Los Angeles’ Anze Kopitar into this group as well and it’s just further proof to the point. If you want to win and go deep in the postseason, having a top centerman who can score, create plays, and defend you’ll do well.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)