May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Team Switzerland is off to their first gold medal game at the World Championships since 1935 after shutting out Team USA 3-0 in the semifinals. The Swiss were tops in their group at this year’s tournament and showed why they were in silencing the Americans’ attack.
Flames prospect goalie Reto Berra led the way with 29 saves to earn the shutout while Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter scored the game-winner in the second period. Julian Walker and Reto Suri also added goals in the third to pad the lead.
Switzerland will face Team Sweden tomorrow for gold after the Swedes knocked off Finland 3-0 as well. Sabres goalie Jhonas Enroth made 30 saves to earn the shutout there. Dallas’ Loui Eriksson scored twice while Canucks forward Henrik Sedin added a goal in the third to wrap it up.
Losing in the semis might seem like a disappointment for Team USA but after finishing seventh in last year’s tournament, it’s a marked improvement. The worst they can finish here is fourth and that’s without many of the top stars suiting up for them. Team USA faces Finland for bronze tomorrow.
Here are highlights from Switzerland’s win over Team USA:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are highlights from Sweden’s win over Finland:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34