May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Team Switzerland is off to their first gold medal game at the World Championships since 1935 after shutting out Team USA 3-0 in the semifinals. The Swiss were tops in their group at this year’s tournament and showed why they were in silencing the Americans’ attack.
Flames prospect goalie Reto Berra led the way with 29 saves to earn the shutout while Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter scored the game-winner in the second period. Julian Walker and Reto Suri also added goals in the third to pad the lead.
Switzerland will face Team Sweden tomorrow for gold after the Swedes knocked off Finland 3-0 as well. Sabres goalie Jhonas Enroth made 30 saves to earn the shutout there. Dallas’ Loui Eriksson scored twice while Canucks forward Henrik Sedin added a goal in the third to wrap it up.
Losing in the semis might seem like a disappointment for Team USA but after finishing seventh in last year’s tournament, it’s a marked improvement. The worst they can finish here is fourth and that’s without many of the top stars suiting up for them. Team USA faces Finland for bronze tomorrow.
Here are highlights from Switzerland’s win over Team USA:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are highlights from Sweden’s win over Finland:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)