May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Team Switzerland is off to their first gold medal game at the World Championships since 1935 after shutting out Team USA 3-0 in the semifinals. The Swiss were tops in their group at this year’s tournament and showed why they were in silencing the Americans’ attack.
Flames prospect goalie Reto Berra led the way with 29 saves to earn the shutout while Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter scored the game-winner in the second period. Julian Walker and Reto Suri also added goals in the third to pad the lead.
Switzerland will face Team Sweden tomorrow for gold after the Swedes knocked off Finland 3-0 as well. Sabres goalie Jhonas Enroth made 30 saves to earn the shutout there. Dallas’ Loui Eriksson scored twice while Canucks forward Henrik Sedin added a goal in the third to wrap it up.
Losing in the semis might seem like a disappointment for Team USA but after finishing seventh in last year’s tournament, it’s a marked improvement. The worst they can finish here is fourth and that’s without many of the top stars suiting up for them. Team USA faces Finland for bronze tomorrow.
Here are highlights from Switzerland’s win over Team USA:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are highlights from Sweden’s win over Finland:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 14
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6