May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Team Switzerland is off to their first gold medal game at the World Championships since 1935 after shutting out Team USA 3-0 in the semifinals. The Swiss were tops in their group at this year’s tournament and showed why they were in silencing the Americans’ attack.
Flames prospect goalie Reto Berra led the way with 29 saves to earn the shutout while Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter scored the game-winner in the second period. Julian Walker and Reto Suri also added goals in the third to pad the lead.
Switzerland will face Team Sweden tomorrow for gold after the Swedes knocked off Finland 3-0 as well. Sabres goalie Jhonas Enroth made 30 saves to earn the shutout there. Dallas’ Loui Eriksson scored twice while Canucks forward Henrik Sedin added a goal in the third to wrap it up.
Losing in the semis might seem like a disappointment for Team USA but after finishing seventh in last year’s tournament, it’s a marked improvement. The worst they can finish here is fourth and that’s without many of the top stars suiting up for them. Team USA faces Finland for bronze tomorrow.
Here are highlights from Switzerland’s win over Team USA:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Here are highlights from Sweden’s win over Finland:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)