May 18, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
The league explains that the Sharks received an automatic $25K fine for discussing the suspension within a 48-hour window, while the extra $75K stems from the “inappropriate nature of the comments.”
The press release related to the fine points to this rule about “prohibited communications.”
“… In addition to the foregoing, the League also has imposed a prohibition on Club employees and representatives communicating with the Department of Player Safety (or with the Commissioner in the case of an appeal of a decision) in order to attempt to influence its (or his) determination regarding whether or not to impose Supplemental Discipline.
Specifically, such communications are prohibited beginning with warm-up preceding a game, and continuing until forty-eight (48) hours after the later of: (i) the conclusion of such game, or (ii) in the event the Department of Player Safety holds a hearing, within forty-eight (48) hours following a disciplinary decision.
In the event of an appeal to the Commissioner, Club employees and representatives are also prohibited from discussing the merits of the Supplemental Discipline determination that is the subject of the appeal with the Commissioner or the Department of Player Safety until forty eight (48) hours after the Commissioner’s decision.
The foregoing prohibition extends to include formal team statements to the media and press releases issued during such period…”
Considering the games and money lost from the suspension, Torres’ hit on Jarret Stoll ranks as one of the costliest in recent history.
Related: Sharks will stay silent.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 2
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 11
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13