May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Seth Jones topped – and tops – many scouting lists, yet second-ranked prospect Nathan MacKinnon’s team prevailed on Sunday.
MacKinnon and fellow high-end 2013 NHL Draft target Jonathan Drouin fueled the Halifax Mooseheads’ 7-4 win against the Portland Winterhawks. MacKinnon stood out in particular, collecting a hat trick in the second period and an assist in the victory.
Here’s the simple stats for that trio of hyped players:
MacKinnon: three goals, one assists, +4 rating
Drouin: one goal, +1 rating
Jones: one goal, -1 rating
It’s probably not fair to throw Jones under the bus, as his Winterhawks were facing a formidable opponent.
When MacKinnon and Drouin weren’t catching scouts eyes as forwards, the Mooseheads also boasted Nathan Fucale. NHL.com points out that he’s the top-ranked prospect among North American goalies.
The Colorado Avalanche aren’t likely to base their No. 1 selection on one game or tournament, but for at least one night, MacKinnon stole the spotlight.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (104)