May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
Seth Jones topped – and tops – many scouting lists, yet second-ranked prospect Nathan MacKinnon’s team prevailed on Sunday.
MacKinnon and fellow high-end 2013 NHL Draft target Jonathan Drouin fueled the Halifax Mooseheads’ 7-4 win against the Portland Winterhawks. MacKinnon stood out in particular, collecting a hat trick in the second period and an assist in the victory.
Here’s the simple stats for that trio of hyped players:
MacKinnon: three goals, one assists, +4 rating
Drouin: one goal, +1 rating
Jones: one goal, -1 rating
It’s probably not fair to throw Jones under the bus, as his Winterhawks were facing a formidable opponent.
When MacKinnon and Drouin weren’t catching scouts eyes as forwards, the Mooseheads also boasted Nathan Fucale. NHL.com points out that he’s the top-ranked prospect among North American goalies.
The Colorado Avalanche aren’t likely to base their No. 1 selection on one game or tournament, but for at least one night, MacKinnon stole the spotlight.
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 8
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 46
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 19
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13