May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
Seth Jones topped – and tops – many scouting lists, yet second-ranked prospect Nathan MacKinnon’s team prevailed on Sunday.
MacKinnon and fellow high-end 2013 NHL Draft target Jonathan Drouin fueled the Halifax Mooseheads’ 7-4 win against the Portland Winterhawks. MacKinnon stood out in particular, collecting a hat trick in the second period and an assist in the victory.
Here’s the simple stats for that trio of hyped players:
MacKinnon: three goals, one assists, +4 rating
Drouin: one goal, +1 rating
Jones: one goal, -1 rating
It’s probably not fair to throw Jones under the bus, as his Winterhawks were facing a formidable opponent.
When MacKinnon and Drouin weren’t catching scouts eyes as forwards, the Mooseheads also boasted Nathan Fucale. NHL.com points out that he’s the top-ranked prospect among North American goalies.
The Colorado Avalanche aren’t likely to base their No. 1 selection on one game or tournament, but for at least one night, MacKinnon stole the spotlight.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)