May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Seth Jones topped – and tops – many scouting lists, yet second-ranked prospect Nathan MacKinnon’s team prevailed on Sunday.
MacKinnon and fellow high-end 2013 NHL Draft target Jonathan Drouin fueled the Halifax Mooseheads’ 7-4 win against the Portland Winterhawks. MacKinnon stood out in particular, collecting a hat trick in the second period and an assist in the victory.
Here’s the simple stats for that trio of hyped players:
MacKinnon: three goals, one assists, +4 rating
Drouin: one goal, +1 rating
Jones: one goal, -1 rating
It’s probably not fair to throw Jones under the bus, as his Winterhawks were facing a formidable opponent.
When MacKinnon and Drouin weren’t catching scouts eyes as forwards, the Mooseheads also boasted Nathan Fucale. NHL.com points out that he’s the top-ranked prospect among North American goalies.
The Colorado Avalanche aren’t likely to base their No. 1 selection on one game or tournament, but for at least one night, MacKinnon stole the spotlight.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 8
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 41
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45