May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
It was a perfect road playoff game for the Detroit Red Wings and they were able to even up their series with the Chicago Blackhawks earning a 4-1 victory in Game 2.
Detroit did things so much differently compared to Game 1. Babcock’s complaints about not getting out of their own zone were adjusted and the Wings could get their offense going. Goals from Damien Brunner, Brendan Smith (thanks to a nice feed from Henrik Zetterberg) and a snipe from Johan Franzen did the job to establish the lead. Valtteri Filppula‘s goal with under eight minutes to play was the highlight reel goal to put a bow on it.
Now the series heads back to Detroit all knotted up at 1-1. Game 3 is on Monday at Joe Louis Arena.
Here are your talking points:
— Both teams have worn each other out in the third period. Chicago did it in Game 1 and Detroit today. So… Who’s for real here?
— Detroit gave the Blackhawks a taste of their own medicine with the scoring coming from all sorts of people. Depth scoring is so important in the postseason but the one constant? Zetterberg with two assists.
— Chicago’s penalty kill continues to be their major strength as they haven’t given up a power play goal yet in the playoffs. Detroit’s man advantage didn’t do much.
— On the downside, Chicago took a few dumb penalties to slow down any chance they had to steer the game back in their direction. Not giving up goals is fine, killing your opportunities to get back in the game is also not helpful.
— Where was Chicago’s urgency? A home game against a hated rival and outside of the first period there was no push back. Detroit scored twice in the second and kept on rolling.
— Detroit now takes home-ice advantage in the series. How much will that help them out?
Here are the highlights from Game 2:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
May 4, 2015, 8:05 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 4, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
The last team to open the playoffs with at least six straight wins was Pittsburgh in 2008.
May 4, 2015, 12:18 AM EDT
He’ll be looking for the Wild to do better mentally at home.
May 3, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
There are three contests scheduled for Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:36 PM EDT
He seemed initially dazed, but stayed in the game.
May 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago now has a 2-0 series lead.
May 3, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk had some bad luck on this one.
May 3, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
“He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight.”
May 3, 2015, 9:14 PM EDT
Prust and Bishop have a history.
May 3, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
The series will now return to Tampa Bay where the Lightning were 32-8-1 in the regular season.
May 3, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
This might lead to Jonathan Drouin playing in Game 3.
May 3, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
How far can the Lightning go if he gets hot?
May 3, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula snuck one by Carey Price.
May 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
At one point 14 squads were believed to be interested in his services.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first time he’s out of the lineup since the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
May 3, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Exactly when that will be remains to be seen.
May 3, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s rarely easy for young stars.
May 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s working nicely with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
May 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Both were at least some risk of missing Game 2.
May 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Still zero goals and just three assists for the star sniper.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 20
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 28
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)