May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
It was a perfect road playoff game for the Detroit Red Wings and they were able to even up their series with the Chicago Blackhawks earning a 4-1 victory in Game 2.
Detroit did things so much differently compared to Game 1. Babcock’s complaints about not getting out of their own zone were adjusted and the Wings could get their offense going. Goals from Damien Brunner, Brendan Smith (thanks to a nice feed from Henrik Zetterberg) and a snipe from Johan Franzen did the job to establish the lead. Valtteri Filppula‘s goal with under eight minutes to play was the highlight reel goal to put a bow on it.
Now the series heads back to Detroit all knotted up at 1-1. Game 3 is on Monday at Joe Louis Arena.
Here are your talking points:
— Both teams have worn each other out in the third period. Chicago did it in Game 1 and Detroit today. So… Who’s for real here?
— Detroit gave the Blackhawks a taste of their own medicine with the scoring coming from all sorts of people. Depth scoring is so important in the postseason but the one constant? Zetterberg with two assists.
— Chicago’s penalty kill continues to be their major strength as they haven’t given up a power play goal yet in the playoffs. Detroit’s man advantage didn’t do much.
— On the downside, Chicago took a few dumb penalties to slow down any chance they had to steer the game back in their direction. Not giving up goals is fine, killing your opportunities to get back in the game is also not helpful.
— Where was Chicago’s urgency? A home game against a hated rival and outside of the first period there was no push back. Detroit scored twice in the second and kept on rolling.
— Detroit now takes home-ice advantage in the series. How much will that help them out?
Here are the highlights from Game 2:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Dec 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
He notched No. 694, moving to a tie for seventh.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:09 PM EST
A tall order, if you will.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
Brutal luck for the winger, Columbus and Slovakia.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
He was able to skate off with some help from a trainer.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
Los Angeles took a 3-2 shootout win vs. Colorado on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Hey, the Islanders get a break.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
The 51-year-old Washington Capitals coach faces former peers Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
He suffered a concussion against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
He’s expected to play against Ottawa this afternoon.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
The holiday roster freeze will keep him with Washington for at least one more week.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Right when he was starting to rebound…
Dec 21, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
His return isn’t imminent, but he’s making progress.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 4
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 12
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 25
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)