May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
It was a perfect road playoff game for the Detroit Red Wings and they were able to even up their series with the Chicago Blackhawks earning a 4-1 victory in Game 2.
Detroit did things so much differently compared to Game 1. Babcock’s complaints about not getting out of their own zone were adjusted and the Wings could get their offense going. Goals from Damien Brunner, Brendan Smith (thanks to a nice feed from Henrik Zetterberg) and a snipe from Johan Franzen did the job to establish the lead. Valtteri Filppula‘s goal with under eight minutes to play was the highlight reel goal to put a bow on it.
Now the series heads back to Detroit all knotted up at 1-1. Game 3 is on Monday at Joe Louis Arena.
Here are your talking points:
— Both teams have worn each other out in the third period. Chicago did it in Game 1 and Detroit today. So… Who’s for real here?
— Detroit gave the Blackhawks a taste of their own medicine with the scoring coming from all sorts of people. Depth scoring is so important in the postseason but the one constant? Zetterberg with two assists.
— Chicago’s penalty kill continues to be their major strength as they haven’t given up a power play goal yet in the playoffs. Detroit’s man advantage didn’t do much.
— On the downside, Chicago took a few dumb penalties to slow down any chance they had to steer the game back in their direction. Not giving up goals is fine, killing your opportunities to get back in the game is also not helpful.
— Where was Chicago’s urgency? A home game against a hated rival and outside of the first period there was no push back. Detroit scored twice in the second and kept on rolling.
— Detroit now takes home-ice advantage in the series. How much will that help them out?
Here are the highlights from Game 2:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)