May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Vancouver’s offseason is almost certainly going to be a fascinating one to watch. The team has cap worries next season and they could deal Roberto Luongo and buy out either Keith Ballard or David Booth for added space.
As Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun shares, one thing they’ll have to contend with are players with no-trade clauses. They have six players currently with one and three more due to get them on July 1 when their extensions begin. GM Mike Gillis says that won’t be easy to do.
“In order to get players to play for less than market value, you have to give them something they can rely upon,” Gillis explained. “I think if a player was unhappy here, he’d waive his no-trade. If we were unhappy with him, it would be obvious and he would waive his no-trade. But that’s not a path we’re looking to right now. I think we need to supplement our core group of players that are here as best we can, and then look at possibilities down the road.”
Drama in Vancouver won’t be lacking with so many things needed to happen and that’s not even going into what could happen with coach Alain Vigneault. Canucks fans might want to buckle up because the summer could get rough.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)