May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
Vancouver’s offseason is almost certainly going to be a fascinating one to watch. The team has cap worries next season and they could deal Roberto Luongo and buy out either Keith Ballard or David Booth for added space.
As Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun shares, one thing they’ll have to contend with are players with no-trade clauses. They have six players currently with one and three more due to get them on July 1 when their extensions begin. GM Mike Gillis says that won’t be easy to do.
“In order to get players to play for less than market value, you have to give them something they can rely upon,” Gillis explained. “I think if a player was unhappy here, he’d waive his no-trade. If we were unhappy with him, it would be obvious and he would waive his no-trade. But that’s not a path we’re looking to right now. I think we need to supplement our core group of players that are here as best we can, and then look at possibilities down the road.”
Drama in Vancouver won’t be lacking with so many things needed to happen and that’s not even going into what could happen with coach Alain Vigneault. Canucks fans might want to buckle up because the summer could get rough.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 33
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 10
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)