May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Vancouver’s offseason is almost certainly going to be a fascinating one to watch. The team has cap worries next season and they could deal Roberto Luongo and buy out either Keith Ballard or David Booth for added space.
As Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun shares, one thing they’ll have to contend with are players with no-trade clauses. They have six players currently with one and three more due to get them on July 1 when their extensions begin. GM Mike Gillis says that won’t be easy to do.
“In order to get players to play for less than market value, you have to give them something they can rely upon,” Gillis explained. “I think if a player was unhappy here, he’d waive his no-trade. If we were unhappy with him, it would be obvious and he would waive his no-trade. But that’s not a path we’re looking to right now. I think we need to supplement our core group of players that are here as best we can, and then look at possibilities down the road.”
Drama in Vancouver won’t be lacking with so many things needed to happen and that’s not even going into what could happen with coach Alain Vigneault. Canucks fans might want to buckle up because the summer could get rough.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)