May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EST
Dougie Hamilton is still eligible to play in junior hockey playoffs.
However, at the age of 19, Hamilton is contributing to a Boston Bruins team that has an opportunity to make it back to the Eastern Conference final for the second time in three years.
Hamilton had an assist – his first career Stanley Cup playoff point – for the Bruins in Thursday’s overtime victory over the New York Rangers in the first game of the Eastern Conference semifinal.
He was a plus-two in addition to what he tallied on the score sheet.
He’s also seen a climb in his ice time during these playoffs. In his first two games against Toronto, Hamilton had 13:32 and 10:49, respectively, in time on ice. The last two games, he’s played 21:08 and 20:45 – the latter total coming in Game 1 against New York.
“I don’t really feel like a rookie or a new player anymore. I just feel like a guy that’s trying to take advantage of the situation that I’m in,” Hamilton told CSNNE.com.
“There’s more intensity. Every play matters, and you care about every play more. Guys are willing to work harder to not make mistakes. There are definitely some games during the regular season where it feels like the playoffs, but now there is consistently more intensity and more of a willingness to do what it takes to win.”
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 1
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 18
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)