Video: Leafs fans go from happy to sad to despondent during Game 7 collapse

May 17, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

Here’s a 2:53 clip making the rounds of a Maple Leafs fan that set up a camera during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals between Toronto and Boston.

Following the ups and downs of his fellow Leafs supporters, the video runs the gamut of emotions from joy (Nazem Kadri‘s goal to make it 4-1) to…well, you know the ending.

Enjoy.

Unless you’re a Leafs fan.

(WARNING: Some salty, NSFW language near the end. You’ve been warned.)

1. ron05342 - May 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I feel so sorry for Leafs fan.

They deserved a better fate.

• imleftcoast - May 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM

The girls in the video look a lot like my wife watching the game with me. They’d like to sympathize, but I’m obviously too far gone to be rational about it.

2. sportsfreak13 - May 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

My heart breaks for them. The sting from that loss probably won’t go away anytime soon, but the team will be better next year. Keep your heads up.

3. ibieiniid - May 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

and their mayor went from happy to sad to crack.

• 19to77 - May 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Rob Ford: “Wait, there was a Leafs game tonight?”

4. r8rbhawk - May 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I can’t feel bad for Leafs fans, hell, I can’t feel bad for any fans. We all have had to go through heartbreak, that’s the risk that comes when you invest yourself in a team.

• sportsfreak13 - May 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

While that is very true. As a pens fan last year alone I can attest to that, however that leafs loss was one of the biggest choke jobs/comeback of all time.

5. billyhauntswizards - May 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I can’t believe how calm they were. If I was a leaf fan I’d have punched 5 holes in my wall when they tied the game.

• ibieiniid - May 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

denial suppresses emotion. that comeback happened so quick, it probably hadn’t even registered with them that it DID happen until later…. that’s probably when they got angry.

• sportsfreak13 - May 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I disagree after the game was over they were still saying their goodbyes respectfully and weren’t visibly angry. Canadians in general are just really nice people, at least from my experience. Completely different from the 2011 ravens fan reaction when their kicker missed that FG. He told everyone to get the f out.

• 19to77 - May 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM

You mention 2011 and how nice Canadians are and you don’t figure there should be just a LITTLE asterisk next to that to represent the city of Vancouver collectively losing its mind?

• ibieiniid - May 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

lol it’s not about being nice. they’re not gonna start bashing up their friends and fellow fans. I’m not saying they went home and punched the walls in…. i’m just saying that once it registered with them what they witnessed…. they probably got a BIT more angry than in this video.

• sportsfreak13 - May 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

hahaha I completely forgot about the riot. Yea I guess I am a little off base there then. I just know from my business interactions that Canadian folks are very friendly and nice.

• sunking1 - May 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I find that Canadians are increasingly Nationalistic (as Americans have been for a long time), particularly when it comes to hockey. I have encountered many hockey fans from Canada who are quite arrogant when discussing hockey (often with a attitude of “your not from Canada so you clearly don’t know as much about hockey as we do”).
        They may be generally nice people but there is not a lot of empathy from me when Canada or Canadian teams lose in hockey.

• imleftcoast - May 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM

sunking1, Canadians do seem to be missing some self-awareness. I play beer league in Seattle, and the team is split American and Canadian. The refs suck, but I don’t think the Canadians otherwise think Americans are hockey dyslexic. At least we don’t think that about guys from the frozen states, and we had one guy from Arizona.

6. jhuck92 - May 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

The guy in the back at 2:24 was already getting ready to leave. You can tell he’s upset without even saying anything.

“….How??”

7. raiderufan - May 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

As a fan in general you feel the pain

As a Bruins fan? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• ibieiniid - May 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

yeah blowing a 4-1 lead in a game is a lot like blowing a 3-0 lead in a series.

8. sheckyrimshot - May 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

i liked the part when the bruins tied it up and everyone is visibly upset except for #42 who’s like “i’m just gonna keep eatin these chips”

9. amehta256 - May 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I watched this a couple of times and it looks so fake…. Girl in the back with leafs jersey is smiling when the bruins score, people’s reactions don’t look authentic.

• nunan - May 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Interesting…I thought they were a little calm, as well….but maybe that’s bc I’m used to Boston fans who can be sort of rabid..Considering how long it’s been since the Leafs have been in the playoffs, and how they fought back in that series and almost won, I’d be willing to side with you here. Should be way more emotion there.

• jpelle82 - May 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

she’s a girl, she probably has no idea whats going on.

• chanceoffleury1 - May 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Completely ignoring the misogynistic nature of that comment for a minute, I am a girl who didn’t even have a dog in this fight and I had more emotion watching this game then some of these people did. I was indifferent to both these teams winning since I dislike both of them for various reasons, but after the Pens locked up their series I decided to hop on the train and become a Leafs fan for a few days since they were on their comeback and I’m a sucker for an underdog. After my 3 days in the fandom, I had more of a reaction than these people.

Like amehta said, it just didn’t seem authentic. They seemed sad, but I think back to Game 4 when the Pens blew that third period lead against the Islanders and I was like visibly devastated. And that was just a game 4. The Isles didn’t even go up in the series or anything. I’ve just never met a Leafs fan who was less passionate than I and who would be having anything short of an emotional breakdown while watching the third period of that game. Just expected a little bit more reaction.

10. sjsharks66 - May 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Not as severe as the leafs game but that was my reaction after last nights game.

Thats what we all get for investing our emotions into such a great game. The lows are LOW but the success is worth it. As a Sharks fan, I’m still waiting for the success part.

11. jcmeyer10 - May 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Whoever is into schadenfreude just had their day made by this video.

12. betrayedbylife - May 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

“should have” might be the most pathetic combination of words in the english language

13. ryanw822 - May 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Fake Fake Fake

1. On the Kadri goal. Still just blank emotions as they see the 2 on 1 play out. No one reacts until your hear the announcer say 2-on-1 and then one guy says come on and another stands up. Even the celebrations are all the same. “Woohoo” and all stop at same time and sit back down.

2. When Horton made it 4-2 there was no reaction. No, “oh crap…” or “its alright, still up 2.”

3. You’d think with 90 seconds left and up 2, these guys would be a little animated in some way. Either cheering their team on to clear the puck or something. Instead just blank stares while their team is up 2 in the final 2 minutes.

4. On the OT winner. The puck was loose in front of the net with Reimer out of position before the shot. You’d think there would be some sort of body language or or anxiety at that point. But nope still nothing.

So either its totally fake or them being leaves fans they were just waiting for this to happen after the Horton goal.

14. jkay1818 - May 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Is this even real? For one, a lot of these people, especially the girls couldn’t even keep a straight face. Th dude on th left was smiling, even during the bruins goals and digging into the chips. The reactions on th bruins goals were late, during the comeback they showed no emotion during loose pucks, or even when Toronto had odd man rushes.
    The real question is, why in gods name were they taping themselves watching the game? Who would do this?
    This is so fake