May 17, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Spezza has yet, however, to receive clearance from doctors. The 29-year-old forward, who finished fourth in the NHL in points (84) last season, underwent surgery to fix a herniated disc on Feb. 1.
“He continues to skate on a daily basis and makes progress,” said Sens coach Paul MacLean Friday. “We’ll go through practice (Saturday) and the pre-game skate and we’ll see where it is. If he’s available to us, it’s Jason Spezza, we’re going to have him in the lineup.”
Game 2 of the series goes tonight in Pittsburgh. The Penguins took Game 1 by a score of 4-1.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5