May 17, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
San Jose was up 3-2 and trying to kill a penalty with less than three minutes left in regulation time when Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic was charged with a delay of game penalty.
Vlasic and his teammates thought the puck hit Kings forward Jeff Carter before going into the stands, but the referees obviously disagreed.
That was the turning point of this contest and two power-play goals later, the Kings were the victors.
After the game, Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he thought Vlasic’s penalty was the right call.
“You go back and look at it, it looks like it changed direction,” McLellan said in a CSN Bay Area report. “The one thing that I’ve learned, certainly through this playoffs, is it’s not going to do me any good to whine and moan and bitch about the referees.
“It’s not going to get us anywhere. We took some penalties, we needed to kill them, and we move on.”
The Sharks are down 2-0 in the series, but now they get to go back home where they were 17-2-5 in the regular season. Winning Game 3 will obviously be critic for the Sharks, but they seem upbeat under the circumstances.
“The one thing I like about our team, is maybe in the past this would have probably bothered our team a little more,” McLellan said. “But, with the group of guys we have, I think we can recover from this.”
If you want to see footage of Vlasic’s actions, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Zero goals in five playoff games.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
A healthy tally.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Putting on a clinic.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Corey Crawford’s back in.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
The Islanders won 3-1 in Game 6.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
He made his postseason debut in Game 4.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Plenty of life on Long Island.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Keep this bounce in mind in the third period.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
He’s been ruled out of the series due to a rib injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Carlson has his first of the playoffs.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Kudos to the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and the Decatur Civic Center in Decatur, Illinois.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He’ll backup for a fourth straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
New York, Nashville and Vancouver are all facing elimination today.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Both were in their first season with the hockey club.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
He helped Russia win gold last year.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Happened on Wednesday in Vancouver.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Bickell and Versteeg swap spots.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 13
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)