May 17, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
San Jose was up 3-2 and trying to kill a penalty with less than three minutes left in regulation time when Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic was charged with a delay of game penalty.
Vlasic and his teammates thought the puck hit Kings forward Jeff Carter before going into the stands, but the referees obviously disagreed.
That was the turning point of this contest and two power-play goals later, the Kings were the victors.
After the game, Sharks coach Todd McLellan was asked if he thought Vlasic’s penalty was the right call.
“You go back and look at it, it looks like it changed direction,” McLellan said in a CSN Bay Area report. “The one thing that I’ve learned, certainly through this playoffs, is it’s not going to do me any good to whine and moan and bitch about the referees.
“It’s not going to get us anywhere. We took some penalties, we needed to kill them, and we move on.”
The Sharks are down 2-0 in the series, but now they get to go back home where they were 17-2-5 in the regular season. Winning Game 3 will obviously be critic for the Sharks, but they seem upbeat under the circumstances.
“The one thing I like about our team, is maybe in the past this would have probably bothered our team a little more,” McLellan said. “But, with the group of guys we have, I think we can recover from this.”
If you want to see footage of Vlasic’s actions, here it is:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 19
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)