May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ dynamic young defenseman Erik Karlsson struggled,and the his team is now in deep against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
In Friday’s 4-3 to the Penguins in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinal, Karlsson was a minus-two.
To make matters worse, he was the blue liner Sidney Crosby dangled around to open the scoring early in the first period.
That goal was the first of three on the night for Crosby, and the beginning of a tough guy game for Karlsson.
Senators’ coach Paul MacLean – a finalist for the Jack Adams Award – had some strong words for Karlsson following the game.
“On our team the best players play; Erik wasn’t one of the best players so he didn’t play,” said MacLean about Karlsson, as per a tweet from TSN Radio 1050.
Karlsson’s ice-time was reduced drastically in Game 2. He had 21 shifts for 15:37 in time on ice. Compare that to Game 1, when he had 27 shifts for 26:58.
Karlsson's 15:37 was lowest of any game he played this year—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) May 18, 2013
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (49)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)