May 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres won’t appeal the suspension banning him from the remainder of the Western Conference semifinals.
Torres’ decision was addressed through a terse statement by Sharks GM Doug Wilson:
We are proud of the work Raffi has put in to successfully adjust his game. Although it’s unfortunate that Jarret was injured on the play, we feel this decision is grossly unfair to the Raffi, his teammates and our fans.
However, Raffi does not want to be a distraction to his teammates and has decided not to appeal this suspension and we respect that decision.
Wilson added the organization “strongly disagreed” with the suspension decision.
The full statement is definitely worth reading, as Wilson provides a lengthy explanation as to why the club feels Torres should’ve escaped supplemental discipline, saying “it is abundantly clear that this was a clean hockey hit.”
Torres, 31, was suspended a minimum of three and maximum of six games for his hit on Los Angeles’ Jarret Stoll during Game 1 of the Sharks-Kings series.
Under terms of the CBA, players are able to appeal suspensions to commissioner Gary Bettman.
Suspensions of six games in length or more are to be handled by an independent arbitrator, as explained here by the Globe and Mail:
Procedurally under the new CBA, a player’s appeal first goes to the commissioner. Contrary to what has been widely reported, there is no a games limit on appeals to the commissioner.
Players have 48 hours to make that appeal in writing.
According to the CBA, the commissioner must “endeavor to hear all appeals on an expedited basis.” If the commissioner’s ruling is for six or more games, the player then has seven days to file an appeal with the neutral discipline arbitrator “who shall have full remedial authority in respect of the matter.”
Currently, as the two sides continue to hammer out the language of the new CBA, there is no neutral discipline arbitrator in place.
Last playoffs, Torres was suspended for 25 games for hitting Chicago’s Marian Hossa. He successfully appealed that decision and had his sentence reduced to 21 games.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)