May 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EST
The 26-year-0ld Staal has played just once since March 5, when he suffered a devastating eye injury after he got hit with a puck.
Staal played in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference quarter-final against the Washington Capitals, with 17 minutes and 17 seconds of ice time. He didn’t register a point in his return and was a minus-one.
However, he hasn’t played since. He didn’t disclose exactly why he didn’t get back into game action following his return.
As per the New York Daily News, there is no time table for his return.
The Rangers currently trail the Boston Bruins 1-0 in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal series.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)