May 17, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
We’re entering Day 4 of the second round and so far the home team has won every single contest. The Ottawa Senators will see if they can become the first team to disrupt that trend.
Game 2: Pittsburgh Penguins host Ottawa Senators (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN/Live Extra)
Pittsburgh leads series 1-0
Penguins goaltender Tomas Vokoun turned aside 35 shots and Pittsburgh was 2-for-4 on the power play in Game 1. Those are two of the reasons they cruised to a 4-1 victory against the Senators.
The Senators relative youth and inexperience might have also been a significant factor.
“If we had any kind of stage fright or youthful jitters, that should be behind us and now it’s up to us to make it a series,” Senators coach Paul MacLean said.
The Senators are the clear underdogs, but that’s a role they’ve often found themselves in this year and Ottawa has thrived all the same.
“We don’t have too many known guys,” Senators forward Erik Condra said told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But every night there’s somebody else that steps up, and that’s what’s been great about us.”
On the other side of the ice, the big story is Vokoun. He now has a 1.28 GAA and .962 save percentage in three playoff starts. The 36-year-old didn’t have much postseason experience going into this year, but he’s making up for lost time.
“You look at it like, I’ve been sitting for years watching playoff hockey on my couch and I had no chance,” Vokoun said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “And sometimes it’s better to fail and be there than to never be there at all. I want to do well, I want my family and my friends to see me do well.
“But nervous and being tight because if we lose it’s the end of the world? I don’t feel that pressure here.”
If Vokoun keeps this up, then the “pesky” Senators will have a very hard time producing anymore surprises.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)