May 17, 2013, 2:41 PM EST
A couple of days off couldn’t have come at a better time for the banged-up Bruins.
Per the Boston Globe, it’s possible one or more of the Bruins’ injured defensemen — Dennis Seidenberg (lower body), Andrew Ference (foot) or Wade Redden (undisclosed) — could be back in the lineup for Sunday’s Game 2 against the Rangers.
“A little early to say,” B’s head coach Claude Julien said today. “It is two days. And two days in the playoffs makes a big difference as far as getting guys back. There is a possibility. That much I can say. Whether it will or not, too early to say right now.”
Boston beat the Rangers, 3-2 in overtime, last night at TD Garden.
The Bruins’ depleted blue line meant a whopping 38:02 of ice time for captain Zdeno Chara, who also scored once and added an assist. No other Boston player came close to Chara in terms of ice time; Johnny Boychuk was second among d-men, at 26:55.
“The amount of time he’s played, and the players he’s played against,” said Julien in praise of Chara. “He continues to do that, and we appreciate that kind of play from him a lot. This is the kind of thing that you get from Zdeno, and tonight wasn’t any different.”
“There’s no doubt our transition game last night was good,” said Julien. “Whether it was because of [the young defensemen], or whether it was because of our game, they did exactly what they had to do. That’s why I commend them for doing such a great job.
“They didn’t sit on their heels, they didn’t just freeze and try and move the puck standing still. They carried it when they had the ice. There’s no doubt that gave us a really good transition game [in Game 1]. Whether some of the [injured guys] come back or not, we’ve got to keep doing the same thing.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)