May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
It’s sort of funny actually — eight games into the playoffs and Tyler Seguin‘s struggles are reminiscent of a certain former Bruin with whom he’s often compared.
You may recall that Phil Kessel registered 46 shots before he scored his first goal of the year. The Leafs’ sniper then added 19 more tallies before the regular season was done.
Seguin is still waiting for his “finally” moment in the postseason. The 21-year-old has no goals despite being credited with 33 shots, tied for third most among all NHLers. (Teammate Zdeno Chara and Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg each have 34.)
Last night against the Rangers, Seguin had at least two good scoring chances that were thwarted by Henrik Lundqvist.
Sometimes, that’s the way it goes.
If it makes Seguin feel any better, Rangers forward Rick Nash is in the same boat. He’s got 28 shots with no goals.
Ditto for Boston’s Jaromir Jagr, who’s 0-for-27.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry went 0-for-24 in the first round, and he’s a former Rocket Richard Trophy winner.
That being said, Bruins coach Claude Julien expects more from Seguin.
“I think people expect, and we expect, that he should be a little more productive,” said Julien.
“If he finds his game, we know how much of a threat he can be, and we’ve got to keep working with him. That’s what we’re trying to do here.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 12
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)