May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
It’s sort of funny actually — eight games into the playoffs and Tyler Seguin‘s struggles are reminiscent of a certain former Bruin with whom he’s often compared.
You may recall that Phil Kessel registered 46 shots before he scored his first goal of the year. The Leafs’ sniper then added 19 more tallies before the regular season was done.
Seguin is still waiting for his “finally” moment in the postseason. The 21-year-old has no goals despite being credited with 33 shots, tied for third most among all NHLers. (Teammate Zdeno Chara and Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg each have 34.)
Last night against the Rangers, Seguin had at least two good scoring chances that were thwarted by Henrik Lundqvist.
Sometimes, that’s the way it goes.
If it makes Seguin feel any better, Rangers forward Rick Nash is in the same boat. He’s got 28 shots with no goals.
Ditto for Boston’s Jaromir Jagr, who’s 0-for-27.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry went 0-for-24 in the first round, and he’s a former Rocket Richard Trophy winner.
That being said, Bruins coach Claude Julien expects more from Seguin.
“I think people expect, and we expect, that he should be a little more productive,” said Julien.
“If he finds his game, we know how much of a threat he can be, and we’ve got to keep working with him. That’s what we’re trying to do here.”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)