May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
It’s sort of funny actually — eight games into the playoffs and Tyler Seguin‘s struggles are reminiscent of a certain former Bruin with whom he’s often compared.
You may recall that Phil Kessel registered 46 shots before he scored his first goal of the year. The Leafs’ sniper then added 19 more tallies before the regular season was done.
Seguin is still waiting for his “finally” moment in the postseason. The 21-year-old has no goals despite being credited with 33 shots, tied for third most among all NHLers. (Teammate Zdeno Chara and Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg each have 34.)
Last night against the Rangers, Seguin had at least two good scoring chances that were thwarted by Henrik Lundqvist.
Sometimes, that’s the way it goes.
If it makes Seguin feel any better, Rangers forward Rick Nash is in the same boat. He’s got 28 shots with no goals.
Ditto for Boston’s Jaromir Jagr, who’s 0-for-27.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry went 0-for-24 in the first round, and he’s a former Rocket Richard Trophy winner.
That being said, Bruins coach Claude Julien expects more from Seguin.
“I think people expect, and we expect, that he should be a little more productive,” said Julien.
“If he finds his game, we know how much of a threat he can be, and we’ve got to keep working with him. That’s what we’re trying to do here.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)