May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
It’s sort of funny actually — eight games into the playoffs and Tyler Seguin‘s struggles are reminiscent of a certain former Bruin with whom he’s often compared.
You may recall that Phil Kessel registered 46 shots before he scored his first goal of the year. The Leafs’ sniper then added 19 more tallies before the regular season was done.
Seguin is still waiting for his “finally” moment in the postseason. The 21-year-old has no goals despite being credited with 33 shots, tied for third most among all NHLers. (Teammate Zdeno Chara and Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg each have 34.)
Last night against the Rangers, Seguin had at least two good scoring chances that were thwarted by Henrik Lundqvist.
Sometimes, that’s the way it goes.
If it makes Seguin feel any better, Rangers forward Rick Nash is in the same boat. He’s got 28 shots with no goals.
Ditto for Boston’s Jaromir Jagr, who’s 0-for-27.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry went 0-for-24 in the first round, and he’s a former Rocket Richard Trophy winner.
That being said, Bruins coach Claude Julien expects more from Seguin.
“I think people expect, and we expect, that he should be a little more productive,” said Julien.
“If he finds his game, we know how much of a threat he can be, and we’ve got to keep working with him. That’s what we’re trying to do here.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)