May 17, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
It’s sort of funny actually — eight games into the playoffs and Tyler Seguin‘s struggles are reminiscent of a certain former Bruin with whom he’s often compared.
You may recall that Phil Kessel registered 46 shots before he scored his first goal of the year. The Leafs’ sniper then added 19 more tallies before the regular season was done.
Seguin is still waiting for his “finally” moment in the postseason. The 21-year-old has no goals despite being credited with 33 shots, tied for third most among all NHLers. (Teammate Zdeno Chara and Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg each have 34.)
Last night against the Rangers, Seguin had at least two good scoring chances that were thwarted by Henrik Lundqvist.
Sometimes, that’s the way it goes.
If it makes Seguin feel any better, Rangers forward Rick Nash is in the same boat. He’s got 28 shots with no goals.
Ditto for Boston’s Jaromir Jagr, who’s 0-for-27.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry went 0-for-24 in the first round, and he’s a former Rocket Richard Trophy winner.
That being said, Bruins coach Claude Julien expects more from Seguin.
“I think people expect, and we expect, that he should be a little more productive,” said Julien.
“If he finds his game, we know how much of a threat he can be, and we’ve got to keep working with him. That’s what we’re trying to do here.”
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)