May 17, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Glen Gulutzan saw the writing on the wall.
The former Dallas Stars coach — fired on Tuesday after two seasons at the helm — figured his time in Texas was up after the general manager that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was replaced by Jim Nill.
“It’s one of those things where you don’t want to prepare for it,” Gulutzan told the Saskatoon Star Phoenix. “Certainly with the change of Joe Nieuwendyk, who was the guy that hired me and Jim Nill coming in, I had a pretty good idea that there was going to be changes.
“When a new GM comes in he wants to bring in his own people.”
If you’re wondering why Gulutzan was talking to a newspaper in Saskatchewan, well, it’s because he’s found a new gig already.
The 41-year-old has signed on as a guest coach with WHL Saskatoon, who will be hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup (which begins today).
Gulutzan played for the Blades in the early 90s — he was teammates with longtime Dallas Star Richard Matvichuk, oddly enough — and his coach at the time, Lorne Molleken, is still behind the Blades’ bench.
“Right away when I walked in here, I heard somebody yelling my name,” Gulutzan explained. “I haven’t been in this building since 1993.
“It brought back some real good memories.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)