May 17, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Glen Gulutzan saw the writing on the wall.
The former Dallas Stars coach — fired on Tuesday after two seasons at the helm — figured his time in Texas was up after the general manager that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was replaced by Jim Nill.
“It’s one of those things where you don’t want to prepare for it,” Gulutzan told the Saskatoon Star Phoenix. “Certainly with the change of Joe Nieuwendyk, who was the guy that hired me and Jim Nill coming in, I had a pretty good idea that there was going to be changes.
“When a new GM comes in he wants to bring in his own people.”
If you’re wondering why Gulutzan was talking to a newspaper in Saskatchewan, well, it’s because he’s found a new gig already.
The 41-year-old has signed on as a guest coach with WHL Saskatoon, who will be hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup (which begins today).
Gulutzan played for the Blades in the early 90s — he was teammates with longtime Dallas Star Richard Matvichuk, oddly enough — and his coach at the time, Lorne Molleken, is still behind the Blades’ bench.
“Right away when I walked in here, I heard somebody yelling my name,” Gulutzan explained. “I haven’t been in this building since 1993.
“It brought back some real good memories.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)