May 17, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Glen Gulutzan saw the writing on the wall.
The former Dallas Stars coach — fired on Tuesday after two seasons at the helm — figured his time in Texas was up after the general manager that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was replaced by Jim Nill.
“It’s one of those things where you don’t want to prepare for it,” Gulutzan told the Saskatoon Star Phoenix. “Certainly with the change of Joe Nieuwendyk, who was the guy that hired me and Jim Nill coming in, I had a pretty good idea that there was going to be changes.
“When a new GM comes in he wants to bring in his own people.”
If you’re wondering why Gulutzan was talking to a newspaper in Saskatchewan, well, it’s because he’s found a new gig already.
The 41-year-old has signed on as a guest coach with WHL Saskatoon, who will be hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup (which begins today).
Gulutzan played for the Blades in the early 90s — he was teammates with longtime Dallas Star Richard Matvichuk, oddly enough — and his coach at the time, Lorne Molleken, is still behind the Blades’ bench.
“Right away when I walked in here, I heard somebody yelling my name,” Gulutzan explained. “I haven’t been in this building since 1993.
“It brought back some real good memories.”
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)