May 17, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Glen Gulutzan saw the writing on the wall.
The former Dallas Stars coach — fired on Tuesday after two seasons at the helm — figured his time in Texas was up after the general manager that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was replaced by Jim Nill.
“It’s one of those things where you don’t want to prepare for it,” Gulutzan told the Saskatoon Star Phoenix. “Certainly with the change of Joe Nieuwendyk, who was the guy that hired me and Jim Nill coming in, I had a pretty good idea that there was going to be changes.
“When a new GM comes in he wants to bring in his own people.”
If you’re wondering why Gulutzan was talking to a newspaper in Saskatchewan, well, it’s because he’s found a new gig already.
The 41-year-old has signed on as a guest coach with WHL Saskatoon, who will be hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup (which begins today).
Gulutzan played for the Blades in the early 90s — he was teammates with longtime Dallas Star Richard Matvichuk, oddly enough — and his coach at the time, Lorne Molleken, is still behind the Blades’ bench.
“Right away when I walked in here, I heard somebody yelling my name,” Gulutzan explained. “I haven’t been in this building since 1993.
“It brought back some real good memories.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)