May 17, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
Glen Gulutzan saw the writing on the wall.
The former Dallas Stars coach — fired on Tuesday after two seasons at the helm — figured his time in Texas was up after the general manager that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was replaced by Jim Nill.
“It’s one of those things where you don’t want to prepare for it,” Gulutzan told the Saskatoon Star Phoenix. “Certainly with the change of Joe Nieuwendyk, who was the guy that hired me and Jim Nill coming in, I had a pretty good idea that there was going to be changes.
“When a new GM comes in he wants to bring in his own people.”
If you’re wondering why Gulutzan was talking to a newspaper in Saskatchewan, well, it’s because he’s found a new gig already.
The 41-year-old has signed on as a guest coach with WHL Saskatoon, who will be hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup (which begins today).
Gulutzan played for the Blades in the early 90s — he was teammates with longtime Dallas Star Richard Matvichuk, oddly enough — and his coach at the time, Lorne Molleken, is still behind the Blades’ bench.
“Right away when I walked in here, I heard somebody yelling my name,” Gulutzan explained. “I haven’t been in this building since 1993.
“It brought back some real good memories.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)