May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins got a standout performance from their best player – and arguably the best player on the planet – and then held on to beat the Ottawa Senators by a final score of 4-3 on Friday.
The Penguins, the top regular season team in the Eastern Conference, now lead the best-of-seven semifinal 2-0.
Some discussion points:
- Sidney Crosby brought the hats pouring to the ice Friday. The Penguins’ captain recorded the hat trick, and the game wasn’t even 22 minutes old.
- Crosby’s first goal of the evening was also his 100th career playoff point. His 101st point – the second goal of the evening for him, also moved him past Ron Francis and into fourth on the Penguins’ all-time playoff points list, as per @PensInsideScoop. By the way, he’s just 25 years of age.
- Senators’ goalie Craig Anderson was pulled following Crosby’s third goal of the evening, which came 1:15 into the second period.
- Robin Lehner came into the game for Anderson. He made 20 saves. Is there a goaltending switch to be made for Game 3?
- Ottawa’s talented defenseman Erik Karlsson struggled Friday. He was a minus-two in the loss.
- The Senators had just six shots on net in the third period, as they were pressing for the equalizer.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)