May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins got a standout performance from their best player – and arguably the best player on the planet – and then held on to beat the Ottawa Senators by a final score of 4-3 on Friday.
The Penguins, the top regular season team in the Eastern Conference, now lead the best-of-seven semifinal 2-0.
Some discussion points:
- Sidney Crosby brought the hats pouring to the ice Friday. The Penguins’ captain recorded the hat trick, and the game wasn’t even 22 minutes old.
- Crosby’s first goal of the evening was also his 100th career playoff point. His 101st point – the second goal of the evening for him, also moved him past Ron Francis and into fourth on the Penguins’ all-time playoff points list, as per @PensInsideScoop. By the way, he’s just 25 years of age.
- Senators’ goalie Craig Anderson was pulled following Crosby’s third goal of the evening, which came 1:15 into the second period.
- Robin Lehner came into the game for Anderson. He made 20 saves. Is there a goaltending switch to be made for Game 3?
- Ottawa’s talented defenseman Erik Karlsson struggled Friday. He was a minus-two in the loss.
- The Senators had just six shots on net in the third period, as they were pressing for the equalizer.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)