May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins got a standout performance from their best player – and arguably the best player on the planet – and then held on to beat the Ottawa Senators by a final score of 4-3 on Friday.
The Penguins, the top regular season team in the Eastern Conference, now lead the best-of-seven semifinal 2-0.
Some discussion points:
- Sidney Crosby brought the hats pouring to the ice Friday. The Penguins’ captain recorded the hat trick, and the game wasn’t even 22 minutes old.
- Crosby’s first goal of the evening was also his 100th career playoff point. His 101st point – the second goal of the evening for him, also moved him past Ron Francis and into fourth on the Penguins’ all-time playoff points list, as per @PensInsideScoop. By the way, he’s just 25 years of age.
- Senators’ goalie Craig Anderson was pulled following Crosby’s third goal of the evening, which came 1:15 into the second period.
- Robin Lehner came into the game for Anderson. He made 20 saves. Is there a goaltending switch to be made for Game 3?
- Ottawa’s talented defenseman Erik Karlsson struggled Friday. He was a minus-two in the loss.
- The Senators had just six shots on net in the third period, as they were pressing for the equalizer.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 19
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)