Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0

May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EST

pens-sens Getty Images

The Pittsburgh Penguins got a standout performance from their best player – and arguably the best player on the planet – and then held on to beat the Ottawa Senators by a final score of 4-3 on Friday.

The Penguins, the top regular season team in the Eastern Conference, now lead the best-of-seven semifinal 2-0.

Some discussion points:

• Sidney Crosby brought the hats pouring to the ice Friday. The Penguins’ captain recorded the hat trick, and the game wasn’t even 22 minutes old.
  • Crosby’s first goal of the evening was also his 100th career playoff point. His 101st point – the second goal of the evening for him, also moved him past Ron Francis and into fourth on the Penguins’ all-time playoff points list, as per @PensInsideScoop. By the way, he’s just 25 years of age.
  • Senators’ goalie Craig Anderson was pulled following Crosby’s third goal of the evening, which came 1:15 into the second period.
  • Robin Lehner came into the game for Anderson. He made 20 saves. Is there a goaltending switch to be made for Game 3?
  • Ottawa’s talented defenseman Erik Karlsson struggled Friday. He was a minus-two in the loss.
  • The Senators had just six shots on net in the third period, as they were pressing for the equalizer.
  1. ironmike778 - May 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Such an unappealing matchup. Both teams suck.

• cheesesteak75 - May 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Very appealing to watch as a Pens fan!

2. loinstache - May 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Game sucked, nothing to whine about
    /s

3. 8man - May 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM

So disappointed. I thought the Sens had turned the corner and were ready to surprise. And they have that great O sweater! Pens are the class of the East. Hoping for a Sens uprising, but if not it’ll be up to the Rangers or Bruins to save us.

Any team but the Pens. Except the Lakers.

• handsofsweed - May 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

The Lakers? So, I’m assuming you’re talking about the UCLA Bruins and the Texas Rangers then? Neither of them could beat the Pens, so it looks like you’re SOL in your galactic sports championship fantasy.

• drone501 - May 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

good luck with that lol

4. whammy71 - May 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I think the Pittsburgh Department of Public Works started to hang Cup banners this morning and are getting the road barricades ready for the parade.

Hey Philly fans…come on out and experience a Cup parade…..they’re freaking sweet!

• therealdeal18 - May 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Gotta love your confidence. Why shouldn’t the pens win the cup? they have all the talent and every piece they need to do so. People who thumbs down you are either penguins haters or penguins fans who think your confidence will somehow bring us bad karma.

I’ll check myself by saying there is no reason why they can’t win the cup, but in no way does that guarantee them the cup. And really people if you think whammy will bring the pens bad karma by being that optimistic youre kidding yourself.

• whammy71 - May 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Right on! Some think I’m being cocky. It’s just that right now, faith and expectations are driving reality! I believe and Shero assembled an amazing team.

5. taintedlombardis - May 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

That PP disparity. The fusion of Curling and the WWE is complete.

• theageofquarrel - May 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

There is a story before this one about Voukon that you haven’t whined on yet.

• therealdeal18 - May 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I get the WWE part cuz you think the NHL is scripted. I don’t get the curling part though. Figured you just went with something thats on ice, maybe slightly boring? In that case you should have went with figure skating… cuz it involves actual skating and is certainly boring. (hopefully thats not offensive to anyone) Probably put too much thought into this though.

• JoeAvg - May 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM

@ therealdea18

It might be to Jeff Skinner. I believe he was a figure skater before he put the gloves on and picked up a stick. At least I think I heard that somewhere.

• hockeywithdrawal - May 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM

They called about 1/10th of OTT’s penalties in this one – very clear they were going to give them every chance to get back in it.

• JoeAvg - May 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Now, now. Let’s not start that. You knew when the PP’s got to 5 to 1 in the Pens favor they were gonna start lookin the other way and/or call the Pens for the smallest of infractions. It’s not right but that’s the way it is. And 1/10 is a bit of an exaggeration don’t ya think? Stay classy.

6. Stiller43 - May 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Boy andersons a mess in this series. Lookin like Playoff Fleury!

7. Stiller43 - May 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Tainted,

Yeah that made you look dumb the first time you said it.

8. JoeAvg - May 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Now it’s time to see what kind of killer instinct they have. Anderson is gonna want to come back strong at home.

Have to admit I got a little nervous on that first power play. They started with the low percentage passes again but Bylsma followed the first unit with a group of 3rd & 4th liners and that seemed to get the message across.

All in all a pretty good effort and gettin better with each game.

9. salsendardo - May 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I thought Karlsson was good. He can’t be 100% yet. Looked like a liability tonight.

• therealdeal18 - May 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I actually don’t think karlsson or letang are playing well. I know letang missed practice so idk if he’s playing injured, but I don’t think hes played up to his caliber at all in these playoffs, way to many stupid turnovers. Maybe I just have high standards?

• JoeAvg - May 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

No I think you’re right. Their play in this series is uncharacteristic of both of them. Let’s hope the Pens wrap it up quick (in 5?) so he can get some heal time.

10. bigbadbruins77 - May 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I just hope the Sens can steal a game or two from them so they are not super rested for the conference finals against the Bruins. It would be more of a series with a 100 % Karlsson and Anderson coming off an injury too. Oh and that Spezza guy is pretty good I hear…

• hawkeedawg - May 18, 2013 at 3:49 AM

You just jinxed the Bruins, lose in 6

• jpelle82 - May 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM

andersons been off an injury for months now. karlsson was fine against mtl, now all of a sudden he’s not 100%? not buying it. karlsson had 1 goal 4 assists and was a +5 in 5 games against the habs…he is -3 with 0 pts against the pens in 2 games. anderson had some of his worst numbers all season against the pens…he was .909 and 2.61 gaa in 3 losses in the reg season and then now a disaster so far in these last 2 games. they are just getting exposed by a far superior and more determined penguins team right now.

11. pizzano7416 - May 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

The Pens are playing like they did during there win streak in the reg season.. I feel bad for Craig Anderson and the Sens. They are a very good team who made the Habs look bad in the 1st round. Pens are just a Buzz saw right now. Lets hope they keep this up all the way to the cup. If the Pens keep playing like they have in these 1st two games, there is not a team in the NHL who can beat them.

Vokoun was solid tonight, def not great, but the beauty in that is that the Pens just need Vokoun to be solid in order for them to win the cup. Thank god Shero covered his ass this offseason and brought Vokoun in, cause if he didn’t Pens prob would not be playing the Sens right now.

• bigbadbruins77 - May 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

They are definetly a buzz saw, but I am not counting out the hawks and bruins chances yet. Granted they all get that far. Both teams can beat them.

• drone501 - May 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM

a shame we can’t on a number one draft pick to play in these playoffs. maf is 29 and this should be his time to shine. a huge disapointment.

12. pitpenguinsrulez - May 18, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Yeah the Bruins are 0-3 vs. the Pens this year…I’m quite sure they can beat the Pens…not! I think the two day layoff affected Vokoun hence why he didn’t look as sharp. I was glad to see the Pens come out firing early. Engelland shouldn’t have allowed Greening I believe to score…he gave him too much room by going the other way. Karlsson rushed himself back way too quick…he’s just not the dynamic player that he normally is. Crosby single handedly deserves the MVP over Ovie and Tavares. Crosby looks as if he’s not even missed beat since he came back. I was glad to see Malkin not get rattled by Ottawa players and take a stupid penalty, which he’s good at. Hopefully the Pens continue this play in Ottawa on Sunday.

The one other thing I have to say pertains to the Big Screen for Pens games. My main observation is that the Big Screen tends to bring out a decent bit of casual fans, mostly young college kids. Sure I’m a junior in college now but you really see the difference in an ACTUAL fan vs. a CASUAL fan. I agree with the Pens having bandwagon fans but only in certain ways because the Pens dominate the younger generation of yinzers while the Steelers dominate with the old generation of yinzers. Sure I myself am in the young generation but I’ve watched hockey since I was kid back in the 90s. Majority of the young fans never really watched the years of the 90s and the struggles of the early 2000s. I even bet that a decent bit of the fans didnt even recognize the goal of the 90s get played during the Pens intro. I’m not really complaining about the Big Screen I’m just stating some facts/opinions… And when your a 20 year old college student like myself you can’t really complain about the girls at Pens game and in college in general…oh my! LETS GO PENS!!

• bigbadbruins77 - May 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Of course they can beat the pens, so can the hawks. 0-3 with 1 goal games? A bounce here, penalty there, all with bruins having one or two of their big guns injured. I mean jeeze the Islanders gave the Pens all they can handle. The bruins have better defense and a much better goalie. They are also much improved form the regular season. They play more physical and are bigger. Sure the pens have a firing squad on offense, but they won’t be scoring 4-6 goals against the bruins or hawks.

• pitpenguinsrulez - May 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Better defense? Yeah trapping sure is impressive watch I must say. If Boston’s defense was so good then why did they choke a 2-1 lead when they met for the first time this year? Rask is better than Anderson and Nabokov but he can be beat. Physical? Both teams are close with physical play. Boston got lucky vs. the Leafs and you know it. They had better hope the Ragdolls don’t take them to a 7th game. Seeing Jagr getting eliminated by the Pens would make my day!

• odj810 - May 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM

coming back from a 3 goals may be a little lucky. but if it was the pens you wouldn’t be calling it a little different i’m sure. . it will be a good series if they can both survive. I think the rangers and sens are going to make each series go at least 6 So trying not to get ahead of myself here. I don’t think either team can handle the other offensively. Crosby is the best player in the league and its not even close. not even chara can contain him. I also think pitt’s D will have a real hard time with a super agressive forecheck of the bruins and could get exposed. it’ll be exciting. all we can do is hope and wait.

• johnnyd76 - May 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

@bigbadbruins77

I agree PENS got ‘all they could handle’ from the Islanders. However, I think you have to consider how teams “match up” when you look at a series. The PENS-NYI series showed how talent vs speed can affect the outcome. It was a very close series when considering how the PENS talent advantage was nearly negated by the NYI speed. PENS do not face the speed disadvantage in their current series, but they must beware of backing off too much when they have a lead. The SENS are dangerous and could do damage if the PENS lay back.

• bigbadbruins77 - May 18, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I’d take the “trapping” defense over having to score 5-6 goals to win on any given night. I haven’t been impressed with the pens in years, Islanders gave them hell, flyers smoked them last year with a similar roster. “choke a 2-1 lead”. Anyone can lose a 2-1 lead pretty easily, it’s called ONE goal. You can call it lucky vs the leafs, or whatever you want, but who cares? The leafs are better than the Islanders, very fast skilled top 6. Rangers aren’t very good this year, bruins in 5 or 6.

• bigbadbruins77 - May 18, 2013 at 2:54 AM

p.s. Bruins have the 3rd best Goals against in the entire league. Pens aren’t even top 5. And where is your STARTING goalie? It takes defense and goaltending to win, not names.

• maalea - May 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM

You do realize that the MVP is for the regular season. That hat trick last night has no bearing on the voting.

The Conn Smythe well that’s another story.

13. pizzano7416 - May 18, 2013 at 4:26 AM

When you have an offense that the Pens have this year some of the rules that normally apply go right out the window. There goaltending and defense does not have to be great. As long as Vokoun and the defense does not play horrible, they will be in every game, even in the playoffs and finals. I think that has been proven already by the massive win streak in the reg season, and them beating the Isles in 6 even though they got out played a lot. Penguins will be playing in the Stanley Cup, sorry but the Bruins just don’t scare me at all.

14. steelcity412 - May 18, 2013 at 7:02 AM

The bruins are extremely slooowwww , they don’t come close to matching the speed if some of the pens . I hope that both the pens and bruins make it to the finals , it would def make for a great series

• President Charles Logan - May 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

they both cant make it to the finals, they play in the same conference , stupid

15. jimeejohnson - May 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Crosby has shut up the haters. He’s playing incredible hockey.

16. ironman721 - May 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Another troll killing performance from Crosby! Let’s go Pens🐧❗

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches