May 17, 2013, 12:58 AM EDT
It seemed like Marc-Edouard Vlasic was going to be quite the surprise hero on Thursday. Instead, he was one of many San Jose Sharks players left stunned by a late Game 2 surge as the Los Angeles Kings rode a 5-on-3 power play to a 4-3 win and 2-0 series lead.
That’s try to make sense of the madness.
- Ignoring how you feel about the puck over the glass rule for a moment and taking it at face value: did Vlasic deserve a delay of game penalty there or did the puck hit Jeff Carter‘s arm? Sharks fans might treat that moment like the Zapruder film in the next couple days.
- Should Kings fans be concerned that Anze Kopitar is injured despite coming back from a puck to the head? Sometimes these issues end up being a bigger problem than they appear at first.
- Can the Sharks recover from this punch to the gut? It’s a pretty brutal way to lose, and now they find themselves down 2-0 in this series.
- The Kings power play scored three of their four goals on six opportunities. Are the defending champions the NHL’s top contender if that special teams unit can be an asset?
- The shot totals were identical at 31 tonight. How close is this series despite the 2-0 score? Does San Jose deserve a better fate?
- Jonathan Quick has obviously been fantastic. How do you feel about Antti Niemi‘s performance so far?
- Assuming the Kings advance, which remaining team presents Los Angeles the biggest challenge?
Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
The defenseman had 34 points in 66 OHL games last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
He might end up with a two-year deal.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
He’s entering the final season of his five-year, $22 million deal.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT
Playoff seeding will be determined by points percentage.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
It could prove to be a bargain deal.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
The Penguins are a win now team coming off of a quick first round exit.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Can they stay healthy?
Aug 27, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
“I’m fully aware that at some point in time we may have to address that position.”
Aug 27, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
At which time he’ll be reevaluated.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
The two have a bit of a history, as you may recall…
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s a benchmark he’s never hit before.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
The 21-year-old looks like he’ll be counted upon heavily.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
For a border incident that occurred in mid-June.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
A first round exit has led to a busy summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Development coach Patrick Rissmiller is among New Jersey’s latest additions.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
His conditioning comes on the ice, not in the weight room.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Two terrible seasons didn’t dissuade fans expecting brighter days ahead.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Philadelphia has a great core, but does it have the depth?
Aug 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Tanking isn’t likely, yet may it be wise?
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32