May 16, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
The award honors “the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.” In other words, it’s for a player that excels on the ice while managing to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.
That certainly fits St. Louis, who won the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points while spending just 14 minutes in the sin bin. He previously won this award in 2010 and 2011. This time around, he’s aiming to join Wayne Gretzky and Stan Mikita as the only players to capture both the Art Ross Trophy and Lady Byng in a single season.
St. Louis is also up for the Ted Lindsay Award.
Moulson had 15 goals, 44 points, and just four penalty minutes in 47 contests in 2013. Both of his minor penalties came in early February and he stayed out of trouble entirely in his last 37 contests of the regular season.
Moulson was also a finalist for this award in 2012 after recording 69 points and six penalty minutes in 82 contests.
Kane scored 23 goals and 55 points in 47 games this season. He was only charged with eight penalty minutes, down from 40 in 2012-13.
No Chicago Blackhawks player has won the Lady Byng since Mikita in 1968.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)