May 16, 2013, 10:19 AM EST
The award honors “the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.” In other words, it’s for a player that excels on the ice while managing to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.
That certainly fits St. Louis, who won the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points while spending just 14 minutes in the sin bin. He previously won this award in 2010 and 2011. This time around, he’s aiming to join Wayne Gretzky and Stan Mikita as the only players to capture both the Art Ross Trophy and Lady Byng in a single season.
St. Louis is also up for the Ted Lindsay Award.
Moulson had 15 goals, 44 points, and just four penalty minutes in 47 contests in 2013. Both of his minor penalties came in early February and he stayed out of trouble entirely in his last 37 contests of the regular season.
Moulson was also a finalist for this award in 2012 after recording 69 points and six penalty minutes in 82 contests.
Kane scored 23 goals and 55 points in 47 games this season. He was only charged with eight penalty minutes, down from 40 in 2012-13.
No Chicago Blackhawks player has won the Lady Byng since Mikita in 1968.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)