May 16, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
The award honors “the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.” In other words, it’s for a player that excels on the ice while managing to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.
That certainly fits St. Louis, who won the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points while spending just 14 minutes in the sin bin. He previously won this award in 2010 and 2011. This time around, he’s aiming to join Wayne Gretzky and Stan Mikita as the only players to capture both the Art Ross Trophy and Lady Byng in a single season.
St. Louis is also up for the Ted Lindsay Award.
Moulson had 15 goals, 44 points, and just four penalty minutes in 47 contests in 2013. Both of his minor penalties came in early February and he stayed out of trouble entirely in his last 37 contests of the regular season.
Moulson was also a finalist for this award in 2012 after recording 69 points and six penalty minutes in 82 contests.
Kane scored 23 goals and 55 points in 47 games this season. He was only charged with eight penalty minutes, down from 40 in 2012-13.
No Chicago Blackhawks player has won the Lady Byng since Mikita in 1968.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)