May 16, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
The award honors “the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.” In other words, it’s for a player that excels on the ice while managing to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.
That certainly fits St. Louis, who won the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points while spending just 14 minutes in the sin bin. He previously won this award in 2010 and 2011. This time around, he’s aiming to join Wayne Gretzky and Stan Mikita as the only players to capture both the Art Ross Trophy and Lady Byng in a single season.
St. Louis is also up for the Ted Lindsay Award.
Moulson had 15 goals, 44 points, and just four penalty minutes in 47 contests in 2013. Both of his minor penalties came in early February and he stayed out of trouble entirely in his last 37 contests of the regular season.
Moulson was also a finalist for this award in 2012 after recording 69 points and six penalty minutes in 82 contests.
Kane scored 23 goals and 55 points in 47 games this season. He was only charged with eight penalty minutes, down from 40 in 2012-13.
No Chicago Blackhawks player has won the Lady Byng since Mikita in 1968.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)