May 16, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
The award honors “the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.” In other words, it’s for a player that excels on the ice while managing to stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.
That certainly fits St. Louis, who won the Art Ross Trophy with 60 points while spending just 14 minutes in the sin bin. He previously won this award in 2010 and 2011. This time around, he’s aiming to join Wayne Gretzky and Stan Mikita as the only players to capture both the Art Ross Trophy and Lady Byng in a single season.
St. Louis is also up for the Ted Lindsay Award.
Moulson had 15 goals, 44 points, and just four penalty minutes in 47 contests in 2013. Both of his minor penalties came in early February and he stayed out of trouble entirely in his last 37 contests of the regular season.
Moulson was also a finalist for this award in 2012 after recording 69 points and six penalty minutes in 82 contests.
Kane scored 23 goals and 55 points in 47 games this season. He was only charged with eight penalty minutes, down from 40 in 2012-13.
No Chicago Blackhawks player has won the Lady Byng since Mikita in 1968.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)