May 16, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Even before the NHL’s controversial decision to suspend Raffi Torres for the remainder of the Western Conference semifinals came out, the San Jose Sharks were already tweaking lines for Game 2 against the Los Angeles Kings.
Now they might just have to do so for more than a game or two.
- Joe Pavelski will move back to the top line as a winger with Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau after centering the third line.
- The productive second line of Joe Thornton, T.J. Galiardi and Brent Burns remains intact.
- Scott Gomez moves to Pavelski’s spot as the center of a third line with Tommy Wingles and James Sheppard while Tim Kennedy, Bracken Kearns and Andrew Desjardins make up the fourth group.
Pavelski spoke about the difference between playing with Thornton vs. Couture.
“Jumbo obviously demands the puck and gets it, and Cooch is everywhere, creating turnovers and has the puck all the time. You like playing with both of them, and the opportunity is going to be good,” Pavelski said.
Head coach Todd McLellan explains how Gomez might fit on the third line.
“He’s doing a lot of the right things right now for our team, and he deserves to be promoted into that spot,” McLellan said. “You look at his linemates (Wingels and Sheppard), you have a left and a right-handed shot and they both have a little bit of size and puck protection skills. Maybe it will compliment what Gomer has.”
The Sharks sure hope so. They play the Kings in Game 2 on Thursday, which you can watch on NBC Sports Network beginning at 10 p.m. ET.
May 29, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)