May 16, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Even before the NHL’s controversial decision to suspend Raffi Torres for the remainder of the Western Conference semifinals came out, the San Jose Sharks were already tweaking lines for Game 2 against the Los Angeles Kings.
Now they might just have to do so for more than a game or two.
- Joe Pavelski will move back to the top line as a winger with Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau after centering the third line.
- The productive second line of Joe Thornton, T.J. Galiardi and Brent Burns remains intact.
- Scott Gomez moves to Pavelski’s spot as the center of a third line with Tommy Wingles and James Sheppard while Tim Kennedy, Bracken Kearns and Andrew Desjardins make up the fourth group.
Pavelski spoke about the difference between playing with Thornton vs. Couture.
“Jumbo obviously demands the puck and gets it, and Cooch is everywhere, creating turnovers and has the puck all the time. You like playing with both of them, and the opportunity is going to be good,” Pavelski said.
Head coach Todd McLellan explains how Gomez might fit on the third line.
“He’s doing a lot of the right things right now for our team, and he deserves to be promoted into that spot,” McLellan said. “You look at his linemates (Wingels and Sheppard), you have a left and a right-handed shot and they both have a little bit of size and puck protection skills. Maybe it will compliment what Gomer has.”
The Sharks sure hope so. They play the Kings in Game 2 on Thursday, which you can watch on NBC Sports Network beginning at 10 p.m. ET.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)