May 16, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
Even before the NHL’s controversial decision to suspend Raffi Torres for the remainder of the Western Conference semifinals came out, the San Jose Sharks were already tweaking lines for Game 2 against the Los Angeles Kings.
Now they might just have to do so for more than a game or two.
- Joe Pavelski will move back to the top line as a winger with Logan Couture and Patrick Marleau after centering the third line.
- The productive second line of Joe Thornton, T.J. Galiardi and Brent Burns remains intact.
- Scott Gomez moves to Pavelski’s spot as the center of a third line with Tommy Wingles and James Sheppard while Tim Kennedy, Bracken Kearns and Andrew Desjardins make up the fourth group.
Pavelski spoke about the difference between playing with Thornton vs. Couture.
“Jumbo obviously demands the puck and gets it, and Cooch is everywhere, creating turnovers and has the puck all the time. You like playing with both of them, and the opportunity is going to be good,” Pavelski said.
Head coach Todd McLellan explains how Gomez might fit on the third line.
“He’s doing a lot of the right things right now for our team, and he deserves to be promoted into that spot,” McLellan said. “You look at his linemates (Wingels and Sheppard), you have a left and a right-handed shot and they both have a little bit of size and puck protection skills. Maybe it will compliment what Gomer has.”
The Sharks sure hope so. They play the Kings in Game 2 on Thursday, which you can watch on NBC Sports Network beginning at 10 p.m. ET.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
The latest round in one of the league’s great rivalries.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Winnipeg beat Florida 5-2.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
The Rangers lost to the Islanders 5-3 on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
He had about 100 loved ones on hand in New Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
He managed the feat in 634 games.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
A little improvement everyday for St. Louis’ captain.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
His game misconduct hasn’t been rescinded, though.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
They’re marketing it as “Back in Black.”
Dec 20, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Reports indicate there was knee-to-knee contact with Mark Fistric.
Dec 20, 2013, 7:22 PM EST
The Bruins forward’s argument lasted five hours, per TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Dec 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Predators insist there haven’t been setbacks, though.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
“It’s just going to take time,” said general manager Don Maloney.
Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
“The replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Dec 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
“I think last night’s game is going to stick with me for a while,” coach Todd Richards said.
Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The play of 19-year-old Olli Maatta has helped the Penguins keep rolling.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
“We didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” said a Denver DA spokesperson.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
Also, Dan Girardi’s acting skills.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
Leafs haven’t done well since the start of 24/7.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Should be in Saturday to face Toronto.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk scored on Mike Smith… we think.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)