May 16, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
The New York Islanders seemed to argue that they’ll be heard from again despite losing their first-round series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that doesn’t mean that the same cast of characters will be back.
The New York Post reports that the team last spoke to Evgeni Nabokov about a new contract about four weeks ago. The veteran netminder stated that he’d like to return to the team during his exit interview, for one thing.
“I think Garth will make his decision,” Nabokov said. “I told him I would like to stay, but we were fighting for the playoffs and nothing was going on. Now we have to see.”
On one hand, Nabokov was a workhorse goalie for the Isles in 2013. He played in 41 out of the team’s 48 regular season games, going 23-11-7 with a .910 save percentage and 2.50 GAA. Kevin Poulin was the only other netminder to register a win for the team in 2013 (1-3-0 in the regular season).
Still, Nabokov is 37 and had a rough series against the Penguins, sporting a putrid .842 save percentage and 4.44 GAA. While a small sample size of games against a high-powered offense isn’t a fair barometer for what he can do, he isn’t getting any younger and didn’t put up all-world stats in the regular season.
Ultimately, it all comes down to which direction GM Garth Snow wants to go in and what Nabokov demands.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)