May 16, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Logan Couture knows if the Sharks are going to beat the Kings, they’ll need to start scoring some goals.
That means beating Jonathan Quick.
And that’s not easy.
“He’s in a zone right now,” Couture told CSN Bay Area. “He’s playing great. He’s seeing everything, compact with the puck, it’s hitting him and not coming off him.”
Quick is showing his Conn Smythe-winning form of a year ago.
After a shaky first two postseason games — he blamed himself for both losses to the Blues — the 27-year-old has been virtually lights-out.
He posted a 30-save shutout in Game 3 against St. Louis, then stopped 55 of 58 shots in Games 5 and 6 to close out the series.
Quick was again stellar in a Round 2-opening win over the Sharks, posting his second shutout in five games despite the Kings getting out-shot 35-20 on the night.
“It could have got out of reach quickly if Quickie wasn’t back there making some big saves,” Mike Richards said. “You could just tell he was seeing the puck well.”
Couture — San Jose’s leading playoff scorer — acknowledged that Quick is tough to beat, but said the Sharks can do more to try and bump him off his game.
“More traffic, more shots in succession,” Couture said. “He’s aggressive, he comes out of the blue [paint] and takes a lot of the net away. Shoot off of him. Rebounds.
“We’ve got to find a way.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 73
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (74)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)