Oates: I’d ‘easily’ beat up Tortorella in a fight

May 16, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT

OatesTorts

Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is not a big John Tortorella fan.

Responding to Tortorella’s claim that Washington was “whining” about a lack of power plays in the Eastern Conference quarterfinal, Oates told Washington’s 106.7 The Fan radio that the Rangers coach was “out of line” with his comments.

Oh yeah, he also said he could beat up Torts in a fight — easily.

Here’s more, from CBS Washington:

When asked by LaVar [Arrington} and [Chad] Dukes what he thinks about Torts openly trashing his team, he had a response ready to go.

“Well, I think he’s out of line,” Oates said. “He should be worried about his own series. We didn’t whine once during the series. I never complained. I don’t know, did you guys ever hear me complain about officiating?”

“Not you, no,” Chad Dukes answered.

“No? Ovi did after Game Seven,” he continued. “No one complained before any game. I met with a supervisor before Game Seven. You meet with a supervisor before every single game. We never complained about anything.”

But his response to Lavar’s next question really turns it up a notch.

Lavar: Coach, I just want to know… would you beat him up in a one-on-one situation?

Oates: Yes. Easily.

You can listen to the audio here but, as CBS Washington points out, Oates doesn’t sound like he’s joking or playing around with his answer.

In case you’re curious, Tortorella goes 5-foot-8, 175 pounds. Oates is 5-foot-11, 190 pounds.

Latest Posts
  1. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

2. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

3. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

4. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

5. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

6. Canes coach Peters making tweaks with emphasis on being more dangerous offensively

Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.

7. Eichel planning to move in with Moulson

Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”

8. Lightning’s trip to Stanley Cup Final boosts season ticket sales

Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Stamkos Getty Images

They had strong attendance numbers last season too.

9. St. Louis offers Upshall a professional tryout

Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Scottie Upshall Getty Images

The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.

10. Crosby, Toews, Weber, Price lead pack in NHL 16’s ratings

Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.

11. Marchand rehabbing from offseason elbow surgery

Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Brad Marchand Getty Images

He played through the injury in 2014-15.

12. Flyers bring back tough guy Rosehill on AHL deal

Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Chris Thorburn #22 of the Winnipeg Jets fights with Jay Rosehill #37 of the Philadelphia Flyers during third period in a game between the Winnipeg Jets and the Philadelphia Flyers on April 6, 2013 at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
(April 5, 2013 - Source: Marianne Helm/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.

13. Marcel Goc signs in German League

Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v St. Louis Blues Getty Images

Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.

14. Domi: I just want to make the Coyotes

Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Max Domi Getty Images

He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches