May 16, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates is not a big John Tortorella fan.
Responding to Tortorella’s claim that Washington was “whining” about a lack of power plays in the Eastern Conference quarterfinal, Oates told Washington’s 106.7 The Fan radio that the Rangers coach was “out of line” with his comments.
Oh yeah, he also said he could beat up Torts in a fight — easily.
Here’s more, from CBS Washington:
When asked by LaVar [Arrington} and [Chad] Dukes what he thinks about Torts openly trashing his team, he had a response ready to go.
“Well, I think he’s out of line,” Oates said. “He should be worried about his own series. We didn’t whine once during the series. I never complained. I don’t know, did you guys ever hear me complain about officiating?”
“Not you, no,” Chad Dukes answered.
“No? Ovi did after Game Seven,” he continued. “No one complained before any game. I met with a supervisor before Game Seven. You meet with a supervisor before every single game. We never complained about anything.”
But his response to Lavar’s next question really turns it up a notch.
Lavar: Coach, I just want to know… would you beat him up in a one-on-one situation?
Oates: Yes. Easily.
You can listen to the audio here but, as CBS Washington points out, Oates doesn’t sound like he’s joking or playing around with his answer.
In case you’re curious, Tortorella goes 5-foot-8, 175 pounds. Oates is 5-foot-11, 190 pounds.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
He won’t return tonight.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
is that the start of a breakout for him?
Apr 24, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
He had a strong season offensively.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
The Canadiens goaltender looks like the heavy favorite.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
His departure in Game 4 was cited as a turning point.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
“Lots of possibilities have been thrown out about an arena for the last decade and none of them have materialized.”
Apr 24, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
After allowing four goals in a Game 5 loss to Nashville.
Apr 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
“In this business, you can’t be afraid to make trades.”
Apr 24, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Much like he did at the end of last year.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Game 6 goes tomorrow in Chicago.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Currently coaching Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Commish liked the chant to calling goalies “sieves”.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
Apparently, according to a report out of Austria.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
So no Derrick Pouliot, and no Beau Bennett.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
Ottawa trails three games to one, but is coming off a big win.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Sharks reportedly have permission to speak with the former coach of the Leafs and Ducks.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Jets d-man will undergo surgery.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Currently playing with AHL Texas.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:06 AM EDT
Was still playing at the ripe ol’ age of 43.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)