May 16, 2013, 11:39 AM EST
Many were wondering what prevented Tyler Bozak from playing in the final two games of the Leafs-Bruins series.
Well, now they know.
Bozak told reporters he tore his triceps on a faceoff at the end of Game 5, an injury that wiped him out for the remainder of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal.
Recovery time for such a tear is four weeks — which means he should be healthy in time for free agency.
The 27-year-old center is going to be a curious case this summer. Bozak had a strong season for the Leafs — 12 goals, 16 assists — and did it coming off a stellar 2011-12 campaign, when he posted highs in goals (18) and points (47).
Bozak also averaged over 20 minutes per game this season, the most in his four-year NHL career.
The former University of Denver standout is in the final season of a two-year, $3 million deal and should get a significant pay bump as an unrestricted free agent.
He turned 27 in March, whereas most of the other UFA centers are already on the wrong side of 30.
UPDATE: According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Bozak suffered a 70 percent tear of his right triceps. Bozak also said taking warmup for Game 6 was “pure [Randy] Carlyle mind games” as he had no chance of playing.
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 0
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 24
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 43
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Varlamov expected to enter plea on Jan. 22 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (43)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)