May 16, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
Many were wondering what prevented Tyler Bozak from playing in the final two games of the Leafs-Bruins series.
Well, now they know.
Bozak told reporters he tore his triceps on a faceoff at the end of Game 5, an injury that wiped him out for the remainder of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal.
Recovery time for such a tear is four weeks — which means he should be healthy in time for free agency.
The 27-year-old center is going to be a curious case this summer. Bozak had a strong season for the Leafs — 12 goals, 16 assists — and did it coming off a stellar 2011-12 campaign, when he posted highs in goals (18) and points (47).
Bozak also averaged over 20 minutes per game this season, the most in his four-year NHL career.
The former University of Denver standout is in the final season of a two-year, $3 million deal and should get a significant pay bump as an unrestricted free agent.
He turned 27 in March, whereas most of the other UFA centers are already on the wrong side of 30.
UPDATE: According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Bozak suffered a 70 percent tear of his right triceps. Bozak also said taking warmup for Game 6 was “pure [Randy] Carlyle mind games” as he had no chance of playing.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)