May 16, 2013, 11:39 AM EST
Many were wondering what prevented Tyler Bozak from playing in the final two games of the Leafs-Bruins series.
Well, now they know.
Bozak told reporters he tore his triceps on a faceoff at the end of Game 5, an injury that wiped him out for the remainder of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal.
Recovery time for such a tear is four weeks — which means he should be healthy in time for free agency.
The 27-year-old center is going to be a curious case this summer. Bozak had a strong season for the Leafs — 12 goals, 16 assists — and did it coming off a stellar 2011-12 campaign, when he posted highs in goals (18) and points (47).
Bozak also averaged over 20 minutes per game this season, the most in his four-year NHL career.
The former University of Denver standout is in the final season of a two-year, $3 million deal and should get a significant pay bump as an unrestricted free agent.
He turned 27 in March, whereas most of the other UFA centers are already on the wrong side of 30.
UPDATE: According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Bozak suffered a 70 percent tear of his right triceps. Bozak also said taking warmup for Game 6 was “pure [Randy] Carlyle mind games” as he had no chance of playing.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 36
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)