May 16, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
New Jersey GM Lou Lamoriello confirmed on Wednesday he’d like to have last year’s top d-man scorer, Marek Zidlicky, return to the Devils for 2013-14.
“We’d certainly like to have him back,” Lamoriello told Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record.
Zidlicky, 36, is in the final season of a three-year, $12 million deal signed with Minnesota in 2010.
He came to New Jersey at the ’12 trade deadline and paid immediate dividends, scoring nine points in 24 playoff games while averaging nearly 24 minutes a night as the Devils made a surprising run to the Stanley Cup finals.
Last year, he led all Devils blueliners in points, with 19, while appearing in all 48 games — no small feat for an injury-plagued Devils team (Zidlicky and Andy Greene were the only two defensemen to accomplish it).
Zidlicky’s future with the Devils could be decided by how he wants to play the market.
This year’s UFA defenseman crop isn’t especially strong — Zidlicky, along with Mark Streit, Sergei Gonchar, Ron Hainsey, Robyn Regehr and Ryan Whitney headline the field — and, even though he’ll be 37 next season, Zidlicky is still a quality offensive defenseman who can log 20 minutes a night.
Those aren’t easy to come by.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)