May 16, 2013, 12:57 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins and New York Rangers know each other pretty well, particularly considering their second-round series from 2012. Jaromir Jagr is new to the Bruins, but he might notice a few familiar faces from his time in the Big Apple.
Some might wonder if there’s bitterness stemming from the Rangers’ decision to let him walk in 2008, but he told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he looks back at his days with fondness.
“I have a lot of good memories in New York. All of the years, we made the playoffs. In the first year nobody believed we could make the playoffs, and we did it. My first year was Hank’s first year and Tom Renney’s first year as a coach,” Jagr said. “We had such a good group of players and we surprised everybody. Such good memories in that hockey time for me.
“But now it’s a different story. I’m not good now. I was a lot better hockey player then, when I was in New York. Of course I’m different. I am honest. I cannot lie.”
It’s true that the 41-year-old has been struggling a bit lately, collecting four points (but no goals) in the Bruins’ first-round series against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Many would agree that he’s still a productive player, however.
Then again, it’s highly unlikely that he’ll never reach the heights he last achieved in New York again, especially the 123-point season in 2005-06.
Jagr isn’t what Henrik Lundqvist is any longer – “the most important guy on that team” – but he likely hopes to help out enough to top his old mates anyway.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)