May 16, 2013, 12:57 AM EST
The Boston Bruins and New York Rangers know each other pretty well, particularly considering their second-round series from 2012. Jaromir Jagr is new to the Bruins, but he might notice a few familiar faces from his time in the Big Apple.
Some might wonder if there’s bitterness stemming from the Rangers’ decision to let him walk in 2008, but he told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he looks back at his days with fondness.
“I have a lot of good memories in New York. All of the years, we made the playoffs. In the first year nobody believed we could make the playoffs, and we did it. My first year was Hank’s first year and Tom Renney’s first year as a coach,” Jagr said. “We had such a good group of players and we surprised everybody. Such good memories in that hockey time for me.
“But now it’s a different story. I’m not good now. I was a lot better hockey player then, when I was in New York. Of course I’m different. I am honest. I cannot lie.”
It’s true that the 41-year-old has been struggling a bit lately, collecting four points (but no goals) in the Bruins’ first-round series against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Many would agree that he’s still a productive player, however.
Then again, it’s highly unlikely that he’ll never reach the heights he last achieved in New York again, especially the 123-point season in 2005-06.
Jagr isn’t what Henrik Lundqvist is any longer – “the most important guy on that team” – but he likely hopes to help out enough to top his old mates anyway.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)