May 16, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes will cross their fingers this weekend as captain Eric Staal is flying back to Raleigh, N.C. for an MRI on a knee injured by an Alex Edler hit during Thursday’s World Hockey Championships quarterfinal game.
Staal, 28, is traveling back to town on Friday and will undergo the MRI on Saturday, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. Alexander notes that the severity of the injury is still unknown.
Here’s another look at that hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s $8.25 million per season writhing in pain in a game the Hurricanes weren’t even playing in. Yikes.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34