May 16, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes will cross their fingers this weekend as captain Eric Staal is flying back to Raleigh, N.C. for an MRI on a knee injured by an Alex Edler hit during Thursday’s World Hockey Championships quarterfinal game.
Staal, 28, is traveling back to town on Friday and will undergo the MRI on Saturday, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. Alexander notes that the severity of the injury is still unknown.
Here’s another look at that hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s $8.25 million per season writhing in pain in a game the Hurricanes weren’t even playing in. Yikes.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)