May 16, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes will cross their fingers this weekend as captain Eric Staal is flying back to Raleigh, N.C. for an MRI on a knee injured by an Alex Edler hit during Thursday’s World Hockey Championships quarterfinal game.
Staal, 28, is traveling back to town on Friday and will undergo the MRI on Saturday, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. Alexander notes that the severity of the injury is still unknown.
Here’s another look at that hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s $8.25 million per season writhing in pain in a game the Hurricanes weren’t even playing in. Yikes.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)