May 16, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes will cross their fingers this weekend as captain Eric Staal is flying back to Raleigh, N.C. for an MRI on a knee injured by an Alex Edler hit during Thursday’s World Hockey Championships quarterfinal game.
Staal, 28, is traveling back to town on Friday and will undergo the MRI on Saturday, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. Alexander notes that the severity of the injury is still unknown.
Here’s another look at that hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s $8.25 million per season writhing in pain in a game the Hurricanes weren’t even playing in. Yikes.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)