May 16, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes will cross their fingers this weekend as captain Eric Staal is flying back to Raleigh, N.C. for an MRI on a knee injured by an Alex Edler hit during Thursday’s World Hockey Championships quarterfinal game.
Staal, 28, is traveling back to town on Friday and will undergo the MRI on Saturday, according to the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. Alexander notes that the severity of the injury is still unknown.
Here’s another look at that hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That’s $8.25 million per season writhing in pain in a game the Hurricanes weren’t even playing in. Yikes.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63