May 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
When in doubt, pick the player with the coolest name.
That might not be the strategy the Phoenix Coyotes are actually employing by signing forward Rob Klinkhammer to a two-year deal on Thursday, yet it’s probably the most entertaining way to think about it.
The 26-year-old boasts the kind of size that could allow him to live up to a fabulous last name, standing at 6-foot-3 and 214 lbs. He collected 11 points in 22 games at the NHL level in 2013, representing a respectable rookie season.
The financial terms weren’t disclosed, but the monetary impact is likely to be minimal.
The Coyotes have plenty of other questions to answer this offseason, even beyond bigger-picture questions about ownership. While goalie Mike Smith represents the biggest conundrum, the team’s forward corps could be in a serious flux. Here’s a list of the scorers who need new deals:
Defenseman Michael Stone (restricted) and backup Jason LaBarbera (unrestricted) also need new deals – either with the Coyotes or someone else – this summer.
At least the team crossed one name off the list today, though.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)