May 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
When in doubt, pick the player with the coolest name.
That might not be the strategy the Phoenix Coyotes are actually employing by signing forward Rob Klinkhammer to a two-year deal on Thursday, yet it’s probably the most entertaining way to think about it.
The 26-year-old boasts the kind of size that could allow him to live up to a fabulous last name, standing at 6-foot-3 and 214 lbs. He collected 11 points in 22 games at the NHL level in 2013, representing a respectable rookie season.
The financial terms weren’t disclosed, but the monetary impact is likely to be minimal.
The Coyotes have plenty of other questions to answer this offseason, even beyond bigger-picture questions about ownership. While goalie Mike Smith represents the biggest conundrum, the team’s forward corps could be in a serious flux. Here’s a list of the scorers who need new deals:
Defenseman Michael Stone (restricted) and backup Jason LaBarbera (unrestricted) also need new deals – either with the Coyotes or someone else – this summer.
At least the team crossed one name off the list today, though.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)