May 16, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
When in doubt, pick the player with the coolest name.
That might not be the strategy the Phoenix Coyotes are actually employing by signing forward Rob Klinkhammer to a two-year deal on Thursday, yet it’s probably the most entertaining way to think about it.
The 26-year-old boasts the kind of size that could allow him to live up to a fabulous last name, standing at 6-foot-3 and 214 lbs. He collected 11 points in 22 games at the NHL level in 2013, representing a respectable rookie season.
The financial terms weren’t disclosed, but the monetary impact is likely to be minimal.
The Coyotes have plenty of other questions to answer this offseason, even beyond bigger-picture questions about ownership. While goalie Mike Smith represents the biggest conundrum, the team’s forward corps could be in a serious flux. Here’s a list of the scorers who need new deals:
Defenseman Michael Stone (restricted) and backup Jason LaBarbera (unrestricted) also need new deals – either with the Coyotes or someone else – this summer.
At least the team crossed one name off the list today, though.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)