May 16, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Restricted free-agent defenseman Chris Tanev will represent himself — with some help from his dad, Mike — in contract talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Mike Tanev tells Vancouver radio station News 1130 that he contacted the club last week and hopes to start negotiations soon.
The decision to negotiate without the help of an agent is an interesting one, given RFA negotiations can be some of the most complex and contentious (see: PK Subban).
There’s even speculation that Tanev could be a prime candidate for an offer sheet.
From The Province:
Tanev, who just finished a three-year contract that paid him a $900,000 salary at the NHL level, would be an attractive target for clubs that decide to buck the trend and go after other teams’ RFAs.
In Tanev’s case, another club could offer him up to $3.36 million in annual salary — and surrender just a second-round pick in compensation.
Denver-based player agent Kurt Overhardt, of KO Sports Inc., says it could be “a perfect storm” for offer sheets with the cap going down so much, but said many NHL clubs will suffer cap issues — and that will affect the number of clubs in position to make RFA offers.
Contract offers — or offer sheets — can be tendered to RFAs by teams other than their own, beginning July 5.
Of course, if Tanev and the Canucks don’t get a deal done before July 5, an agent could always be hired at that point.
Tanev — a steady defenseman that didn’t play particularly tough minutes — had two goals and five assists in 38 games, averaging 17:17 of ice time.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 4
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (76)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)