May 16, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Restricted free-agent defenseman Chris Tanev will represent himself — with some help from his dad, Mike — in contract talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Mike Tanev tells Vancouver radio station News 1130 that he contacted the club last week and hopes to start negotiations soon.
The decision to negotiate without the help of an agent is an interesting one, given RFA negotiations can be some of the most complex and contentious (see: PK Subban).
There’s even speculation that Tanev could be a prime candidate for an offer sheet.
From The Province:
Tanev, who just finished a three-year contract that paid him a $900,000 salary at the NHL level, would be an attractive target for clubs that decide to buck the trend and go after other teams’ RFAs.
In Tanev’s case, another club could offer him up to $3.36 million in annual salary — and surrender just a second-round pick in compensation.
Denver-based player agent Kurt Overhardt, of KO Sports Inc., says it could be “a perfect storm” for offer sheets with the cap going down so much, but said many NHL clubs will suffer cap issues — and that will affect the number of clubs in position to make RFA offers.
Contract offers — or offer sheets — can be tendered to RFAs by teams other than their own, beginning July 5.
Of course, if Tanev and the Canucks don’t get a deal done before July 5, an agent could always be hired at that point.
Tanev — a steady defenseman that didn’t play particularly tough minutes — had two goals and five assists in 38 games, averaging 17:17 of ice time.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 18
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)