May 16, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Restricted free-agent defenseman Chris Tanev will represent himself — with some help from his dad, Mike — in contract talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Mike Tanev tells Vancouver radio station News 1130 that he contacted the club last week and hopes to start negotiations soon.
The decision to negotiate without the help of an agent is an interesting one, given RFA negotiations can be some of the most complex and contentious (see: PK Subban).
There’s even speculation that Tanev could be a prime candidate for an offer sheet.
From The Province:
Tanev, who just finished a three-year contract that paid him a $900,000 salary at the NHL level, would be an attractive target for clubs that decide to buck the trend and go after other teams’ RFAs.
In Tanev’s case, another club could offer him up to $3.36 million in annual salary — and surrender just a second-round pick in compensation.
Denver-based player agent Kurt Overhardt, of KO Sports Inc., says it could be “a perfect storm” for offer sheets with the cap going down so much, but said many NHL clubs will suffer cap issues — and that will affect the number of clubs in position to make RFA offers.
Contract offers — or offer sheets — can be tendered to RFAs by teams other than their own, beginning July 5.
Of course, if Tanev and the Canucks don’t get a deal done before July 5, an agent could always be hired at that point.
Tanev — a steady defenseman that didn’t play particularly tough minutes — had two goals and five assists in 38 games, averaging 17:17 of ice time.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)