May 16, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Restricted free-agent defenseman Chris Tanev will represent himself — with some help from his dad, Mike — in contract talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Mike Tanev tells Vancouver radio station News 1130 that he contacted the club last week and hopes to start negotiations soon.
The decision to negotiate without the help of an agent is an interesting one, given RFA negotiations can be some of the most complex and contentious (see: PK Subban).
There’s even speculation that Tanev could be a prime candidate for an offer sheet.
From The Province:
Tanev, who just finished a three-year contract that paid him a $900,000 salary at the NHL level, would be an attractive target for clubs that decide to buck the trend and go after other teams’ RFAs.
In Tanev’s case, another club could offer him up to $3.36 million in annual salary — and surrender just a second-round pick in compensation.
Denver-based player agent Kurt Overhardt, of KO Sports Inc., says it could be “a perfect storm” for offer sheets with the cap going down so much, but said many NHL clubs will suffer cap issues — and that will affect the number of clubs in position to make RFA offers.
Contract offers — or offer sheets — can be tendered to RFAs by teams other than their own, beginning July 5.
Of course, if Tanev and the Canucks don’t get a deal done before July 5, an agent could always be hired at that point.
Tanev — a steady defenseman that didn’t play particularly tough minutes — had two goals and five assists in 38 games, averaging 17:17 of ice time.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)