May 16, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis sent an email to season-ticket holders today. It read as follows:
“I am writing to you far earlier than any of us wanted or anticipated. Although we won the division for the fifth consecutive season, regular season success alone is not our ultimate goal.
“It is my responsibility as the leader of this organization to work with my leadership team to evaluate all aspects of our hockey club and find ways to improve. You have been extremely supportive and your passion is what drives us every day to get better.
“Everyone in our organization from our owners, management, coaches, players and staff expected more from this season – and we know you did as well. Losing in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two years is unacceptable to each of us. This off-season will lead to difficult decisions including roster adjustments and changes in personnel. Though I believe the condensed schedule made adjustments challenging and does not necessarily reflect the full potential of our on-ice group, the fact remains that we’re going to have to reinvent ourselves and do things differently in order to be successful.
“It is my intention to communicate with you as often as I can throughout the summer months. On behalf of our entire organization, I thank you for your continued loyalty and assure you we will work as hard as we can to make you proud and to ultimately win the Stanley Cup.”
In a related story, the Canucks are reportedly raising ticket prices for next season.
It still hasn’t been announced whether head coach Alain Vigneault will keep his job or be fired.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)