May 16, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis sent an email to season-ticket holders today. It read as follows:
“I am writing to you far earlier than any of us wanted or anticipated. Although we won the division for the fifth consecutive season, regular season success alone is not our ultimate goal.
“It is my responsibility as the leader of this organization to work with my leadership team to evaluate all aspects of our hockey club and find ways to improve. You have been extremely supportive and your passion is what drives us every day to get better.
“Everyone in our organization from our owners, management, coaches, players and staff expected more from this season – and we know you did as well. Losing in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two years is unacceptable to each of us. This off-season will lead to difficult decisions including roster adjustments and changes in personnel. Though I believe the condensed schedule made adjustments challenging and does not necessarily reflect the full potential of our on-ice group, the fact remains that we’re going to have to reinvent ourselves and do things differently in order to be successful.
“It is my intention to communicate with you as often as I can throughout the summer months. On behalf of our entire organization, I thank you for your continued loyalty and assure you we will work as hard as we can to make you proud and to ultimately win the Stanley Cup.”
In a related story, the Canucks are reportedly raising ticket prices for next season.
It still hasn’t been announced whether head coach Alain Vigneault will keep his job or be fired.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)