May 16, 2013, 5:08 PM EST
Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis sent an email to season-ticket holders today. It read as follows:
“I am writing to you far earlier than any of us wanted or anticipated. Although we won the division for the fifth consecutive season, regular season success alone is not our ultimate goal.
“It is my responsibility as the leader of this organization to work with my leadership team to evaluate all aspects of our hockey club and find ways to improve. You have been extremely supportive and your passion is what drives us every day to get better.
“Everyone in our organization from our owners, management, coaches, players and staff expected more from this season – and we know you did as well. Losing in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two years is unacceptable to each of us. This off-season will lead to difficult decisions including roster adjustments and changes in personnel. Though I believe the condensed schedule made adjustments challenging and does not necessarily reflect the full potential of our on-ice group, the fact remains that we’re going to have to reinvent ourselves and do things differently in order to be successful.
“It is my intention to communicate with you as often as I can throughout the summer months. On behalf of our entire organization, I thank you for your continued loyalty and assure you we will work as hard as we can to make you proud and to ultimately win the Stanley Cup.”
In a related story, the Canucks are reportedly raising ticket prices for next season.
It still hasn’t been announced whether head coach Alain Vigneault will keep his job or be fired.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)