Torres defends his hit on Stoll

May 15, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT

Torres hit

Sharks head coach Todd McLellan doesn’t think forward Raffi Torres deserved a charging penalty on his hit Los Angeles’ Jarret Stoll.

Although it looked like Torres made contact with Stoll’s head, he was also quick to defend his actions.

“I didn’t really think it was even going to be a penalty,” Torres said, according to CSN Bay Area. “They called it charging, I don’t think I launched myself. I took a step and a half, and glided into him.

“Obviously he was leaning over, and I still feel like I got a shoulder to his shoulder, and then it kind of looked because he was leaning over that I came up a little high. I didn’t even think it was going to be a penalty, but I hope he’s alright.”

Kings coach Darryl Sutter wouldn’t go into detail about Stoll’s status, but he encouraged us to read between the lines.

“You know what? I didn’t play Jarret in the third period, and he wasn’t resting, so that pretty well tells you, doesn’t it?” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.

If you want to judge the hit for yourself, you can view it below:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. billyhauntswizards - May 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I think it’s a clean hit. Looked like he was aiming for his shoulder but he had his head down so his head was hit too. No charging call however, took one stride and glided into him.

2. ironyisadeadscene - May 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Dustin Brown called it a clean hit. Let’s move on

• jjregan21 - May 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

What does Brown know about clean hits?

• billyhauntswizards - May 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Brown calling clean hits? LOL

• ironyisadeadscene - May 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Haha, I was being sarcastic (I didn’t even know Brown commented on the hit). It was more a commentary on Brown’s penchant for questionable hits.

• kneedeepinpujols - May 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM

your username is extremely appropriate in this case lol

3. quickisquick - May 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Actually, that’s not what Dustin Brown said:

“I don’t know. Stolly obviously didn’t come back,” Brown said. “I mean, I just saw the quick replay. It looked like it was shoulder-to-head, but again, I’m not really paying attention to the jumbotron. During the game I’m trying to focus on playing.”

TSN has the reverse angle look at the hit (toward the end of the clip):

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Yeah, that reverse angle definitely appears he made much less contact with the shoulder/body and clipped the head as a result. I’ll take sjsharks66’s suggestion from the Derek Roy hit I mention below and say he gets a suspension.

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

And it looks like they’ve requested an in person hearing. Not surprised.

4. sjsharks66 - May 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

It was clean, time to move on. Stoll has had his fair share of dirty hits as well. lets not forget his very bad board on Ian White 2 years ago. Does that mean people can hit Stoll in the head all they want? No, of course not. Sometimes these hits happen on purpose and sometimes they happen on accident. This one was clearly an accident.

• manchestermiracle - May 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Nice job of excusing Torres actions by referencing something Stoll did “2 years ago.” Stoll once made a bad hit so Torres should be excused. After all, Stoll must have had it coming, right? And your speculation on whether Torres’ hit on Stoll was an “accident” or not is just as misleading, as though you know what Torres’ intent was.

“Accident” or not, it is incumbent on the player doing the hitting to insure it doesn’t include the head. Torres could easily have made a completely clean hit, but chose to straighten his body at the same time Stoll was doing so, thus insuring his shoulder made contact with Stoll’s head.

• sixeighty4life - May 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Oh yeah, because Torres totally “CHOSE to straighten his body at the same time as Stoll was doing so, thus insuring his shoulder made contact with Stoll’s head” huh? I guess you can tell what Torres’ intent was but sjsharks66, eh?

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I was waiting for that. So Torres hits a guy and it’s clean but when Derek Roy does the same hit, it’s a dangerous headshot. I guess there is one difference though – their size (Torres having at least 3 inches of height and probably 30 pounds on Roy for anyone confused).

Both hits the shoulder was contacted first but the player was leaning over so the force of the contact causes their head to snap back. Neither player jumped or targeted the head directly, but both players ended up leaving the game at least for a bit, but Stuart actually came back where Stoll didn’t.

Seriously, here’s your quote from the Roy hit article on PHT:

Suspension worthy, 2 games. If they win tonight though, there will be no suspension. So…free cheap shot by Roy I guess?

Video: Derek Roy delivers questionable hit to Brad Stuart

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Actually, after seeing the reverse angle from TSN above I’d have to say the Torres hit is worse. It’s very debatable whether Roy even makes any contact with Stuart’s head while Torres does at least make some with Stoll.

Torres does still make some contact with the shoulder so I don’t think it’s a targeted headshot, but Torres should have recognized Stoll was leaning so far over and was in a dangerous position. It’s only after Stoll starts to straighten up that Torres misses him by as much as he did. He would have made much more body contact (but again with the player extended in a vulnerable position) if Stoll hadn’t straightened up.

• imleftcoast - May 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Once the league reviews the head shot, we can move on while Raffi sits out a game.

5. manchestermiracle - May 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Oh, yes, Stoll left the game and couldn’t return because he got hit on the shoulder. That makes total sense. Once again: Stoll is bent over looking down as Torres approaches. Torres is also slightly bent over. As Stoll rises to avoid the hit Torres does the same while turning to lead with his shoulder. At Stoll’s head. It’s only debatable if Torres doesn’t have a history of douchebag hits and getting suspended for them.

6. sjsharks66 - May 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Im pretty sure i said that does not mean players can target stolls head an make dirty plays. I like how you cut that part out.

Im saying these are the playoffs. The kings CRYING FOR A SUSPENSION is pretty ironic. What about Browns knee against the coyotes or Kings board on Petrangelo last year? You seem to forget the Kings got away with a lot of cheap hits last year.

They can dish the dirty hits out, but catch em with a clean hit….the other teams player should be suspended!

• jpelle82 - May 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM

those things have nothing to do with this hit last night. the fact that its torres making the hit means there is no benefit of the doubt. the context of the hit bothers me, guy was in a vulnerable position away from the boards without the puck. its a dirty play whether he hit the head or if the head was principle point of contact is second fiddle for me.

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM

“but catch em with a clean hit”… I love that you can’t see the irony in that after my earlier comment.

7. valoisjoeybfeld69 - May 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The head doesn’t appear to be the principal point of contact. It looked like a shoulder to shoulder hit. However, it was a blind sided hit.

8. adambballn - May 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Torres involved in another controversial hit? I’m shocked…

• imleftcoast - May 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It’s going to be reviewed because of his record. He certainly helped the Sharks beat the Canucks, but he just cannot resist hits like this.

9. sjsharks66 - May 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Anyone notice how Elvis gets in these huge discussions by himself? The roy hit is old news and guess what, he was not suspended. Im not even going to bother with that.

This hit was clean, move on. You’re just mad the Sharks swept your team.

• imleftcoast - May 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It’s all Elvis. Did you notice the new post: Report: Torres will have disciplinary hearing for Stoll hit

• imleftcoast - May 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Maybe you should call Shanny and tell him to ‘move on.’

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

“It’s better to be silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt.”
        – Advice sjsharks66 could use on the subject of Torres and dirty hits

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yup, all me. Just because you’re trying to ignore me when you don’t have a leg to stand on (kind of like Thorton after the infamous dive from being tapped on the ankle against Detroit a while back) doesn’t mean it’s me talking to myself.

10. bgrillz - May 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM

It was clean, and he should not be facing a hearing. This is purely a reputation call. garbage! And I have no dog in this fight.

• elvispocomo - May 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I’m on the fence for how bad this actually was. I rib sjsharks66 because he claimed immediately that Roy’s hit was worth 2 games . I can see how the NHL can make a case, particularly when viewed from the reverse angle TSN showed he hit across the front of the body as Stoll straightened up and contacted the head that it could be viewed as a headshot.

Regardless of suspendable or not, I think everyone could agree Torres probably needed to have more forethought about coming to hit a player in a position where they’re stretched out and bent over reaching for a puck. As you can see, a small movement by Stoll to get back to a less vulnerable position makes it so Torres is well away from the center of the body and risks contact to the head.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches