May 15, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
Jason Spezza didn’t play in the series opener against Pittsburgh, and he won’t play in the second game either.
On Wednesday, Senators head coach Paul MacLean said Spezza would not be available for Game 2, despite him practicing with the Black Aces back in Ottawa.
Spezza didn’t travel with the Sens to Pittsburgh for Game 1, which the Penguins won 4-1, and sounds as though he’s close to return — just not close enough.
“I think Jason still has some hurdles to get over before we get to that point with him coming in to say he’s ready to play, and us allowing him to play,” MacLean told the Ottawa Citizen.
Spezza has not played since having back surgery Feb. 1 to repair a herniated disc.
Prior to the injury, he had five points in five regular-season games — and the Sens could desperately use his postseason production (51 points in 53 playoff games).
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)