May 15, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
The normally reserved Henrik Sedin has thrown down some fightin’ words.
Or, divin’ words.
Sedin, currently playing with Team Sweden at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, blasted Phoenix Coyotes/Team Canada goalie Mike Smith, who is currently lighting up the tournament with a .957 save percentage and 1.30 GAA.
“Smith is a [expletive] big goalie, extremely big and good at playing the puck. He also dives a lot. You can’t barely touch him, then he will fall
“He’s the goalie in the NHL that draws more penalties than anyone else. I believe it was twelve penalties that the other team took. He goes out, holds on to the puck and then holds on, holds on.
“When you challenge him or barely touches him, he falls. That’s something we’ve got to be careful with. I’m going to tell the ref to keep an eye on him.”
Sedin dropped these remarks following Tuesday’s win over Denmark, a result that put Sweden in a quarterfinal matchup with the Canadians.
The Canucks captain has a history with the ‘Yotes netminder, especially after incidents from this year.
In March, teammate and countryman Alex Edler was given a two-game suspension for this hit on Smith:
In April, the Smith and Canucks got into it again:
Canada and Sweden will meet on Thursday to decide who will advance to the tournament semifinals.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)