May 15, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
The normally reserved Henrik Sedin has thrown down some fightin’ words.
Or, divin’ words.
Sedin, currently playing with Team Sweden at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, blasted Phoenix Coyotes/Team Canada goalie Mike Smith, who is currently lighting up the tournament with a .957 save percentage and 1.30 GAA.
“Smith is a [expletive] big goalie, extremely big and good at playing the puck. He also dives a lot. You can’t barely touch him, then he will fall
“He’s the goalie in the NHL that draws more penalties than anyone else. I believe it was twelve penalties that the other team took. He goes out, holds on to the puck and then holds on, holds on.
“When you challenge him or barely touches him, he falls. That’s something we’ve got to be careful with. I’m going to tell the ref to keep an eye on him.”
Sedin dropped these remarks following Tuesday’s win over Denmark, a result that put Sweden in a quarterfinal matchup with the Canadians.
The Canucks captain has a history with the ‘Yotes netminder, especially after incidents from this year.
In March, teammate and countryman Alex Edler was given a two-game suspension for this hit on Smith:
In April, the Smith and Canucks got into it again:
Canada and Sweden will meet on Thursday to decide who will advance to the tournament semifinals.
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 2
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 24
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 97
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 37
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (97)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (73)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)