May 15, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
The normally reserved Henrik Sedin has thrown down some fightin’ words.
Or, divin’ words.
Sedin, currently playing with Team Sweden at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, blasted Phoenix Coyotes/Team Canada goalie Mike Smith, who is currently lighting up the tournament with a .957 save percentage and 1.30 GAA.
“Smith is a [expletive] big goalie, extremely big and good at playing the puck. He also dives a lot. You can’t barely touch him, then he will fall
“He’s the goalie in the NHL that draws more penalties than anyone else. I believe it was twelve penalties that the other team took. He goes out, holds on to the puck and then holds on, holds on.
“When you challenge him or barely touches him, he falls. That’s something we’ve got to be careful with. I’m going to tell the ref to keep an eye on him.”
Sedin dropped these remarks following Tuesday’s win over Denmark, a result that put Sweden in a quarterfinal matchup with the Canadians.
The Canucks captain has a history with the ‘Yotes netminder, especially after incidents from this year.
In March, teammate and countryman Alex Edler was given a two-game suspension for this hit on Smith:
In April, the Smith and Canucks got into it again:
Canada and Sweden will meet on Thursday to decide who will advance to the tournament semifinals.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)