May 15, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
The normally reserved Henrik Sedin has thrown down some fightin’ words.
Or, divin’ words.
Sedin, currently playing with Team Sweden at the 2013 World Hockey Championships, blasted Phoenix Coyotes/Team Canada goalie Mike Smith, who is currently lighting up the tournament with a .957 save percentage and 1.30 GAA.
“Smith is a [expletive] big goalie, extremely big and good at playing the puck. He also dives a lot. You can’t barely touch him, then he will fall
“He’s the goalie in the NHL that draws more penalties than anyone else. I believe it was twelve penalties that the other team took. He goes out, holds on to the puck and then holds on, holds on.
“When you challenge him or barely touches him, he falls. That’s something we’ve got to be careful with. I’m going to tell the ref to keep an eye on him.”
Sedin dropped these remarks following Tuesday’s win over Denmark, a result that put Sweden in a quarterfinal matchup with the Canadians.
The Canucks captain has a history with the ‘Yotes netminder, especially after incidents from this year.
In March, teammate and countryman Alex Edler was given a two-game suspension for this hit on Smith:
In April, the Smith and Canucks got into it again:
Canada and Sweden will meet on Thursday to decide who will advance to the tournament semifinals.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 13
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)