May 15, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
Today, two days after the Caps were eliminated from the playoffs, the 33-year-old center who can become an unrestricted free agent this summer was asked once more about his plans.
“I have a family and have to make the right decision for them, and for the team, too. If I stay here, I want to have a chance to win,” said Ribeiro, per the Washington Post. “You can’t just re-sign me and then have the same kind of team. You want to improve your team. …
“That’s why it’s important to talk to them and know what they’re thinking and want to do, and then from there fit me into that.”
Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season. His 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
No other pending UFA had as many points as Ribeiro.
Certainly there’s more demand than supply when it comes to top centers — a good thing for Ribeiro, but potentially problematic for the Caps if they want him back. (Which head coach Adam Oates does.)
Washington general manager George McPhee would likely prefer to give Ribeiro a two- to three-year commitment, as opposed to one that would take the player into his late 30’s.
Ribeiro’s expiring contract was for five years and $25 million ($5 million cap hit).
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)