May 15, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Today, two days after the Caps were eliminated from the playoffs, the 33-year-old center who can become an unrestricted free agent this summer was asked once more about his plans.
“I have a family and have to make the right decision for them, and for the team, too. If I stay here, I want to have a chance to win,” said Ribeiro, per the Washington Post. “You can’t just re-sign me and then have the same kind of team. You want to improve your team. …
“That’s why it’s important to talk to them and know what they’re thinking and want to do, and then from there fit me into that.”
Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season. His 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
No other pending UFA had as many points as Ribeiro.
Certainly there’s more demand than supply when it comes to top centers — a good thing for Ribeiro, but potentially problematic for the Caps if they want him back. (Which head coach Adam Oates does.)
Washington general manager George McPhee would likely prefer to give Ribeiro a two- to three-year commitment, as opposed to one that would take the player into his late 30’s.
Ribeiro’s expiring contract was for five years and $25 million ($5 million cap hit).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)