May 15, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Today, two days after the Caps were eliminated from the playoffs, the 33-year-old center who can become an unrestricted free agent this summer was asked once more about his plans.
“I have a family and have to make the right decision for them, and for the team, too. If I stay here, I want to have a chance to win,” said Ribeiro, per the Washington Post. “You can’t just re-sign me and then have the same kind of team. You want to improve your team. …
“That’s why it’s important to talk to them and know what they’re thinking and want to do, and then from there fit me into that.”
Ribeiro had 13 goals and 36 assists during the regular season. His 49 points were the second most, behind Alex Ovechkin‘s 56, on the Caps and tied for 10th overall in the NHL.
No other pending UFA had as many points as Ribeiro.
Certainly there’s more demand than supply when it comes to top centers — a good thing for Ribeiro, but potentially problematic for the Caps if they want him back. (Which head coach Adam Oates does.)
Washington general manager George McPhee would likely prefer to give Ribeiro a two- to three-year commitment, as opposed to one that would take the player into his late 30′s.
Ribeiro’s expiring contract was for five years and $25 million ($5 million cap hit).
Mike Ribeiro on Alex Ovechkin: "He's a young player. He still has a lot to learn about how to play the game."—
Chris Gordon (@Chris_Gordon) May 15, 2013
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)