May 15, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Torres is suspended pending the outcome of his in-person hearing, and is being considered for supplemental discipline for “an illegal check to the head.”
The hit, which occurred with less than a minute remaining in the second period of Game 1 between the Sharks and Kings, netted Torres a two-minute charging minor:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, San Jose head coach Todd McLellan disagreed with the call, saying Torres’ hit wasn’t illegal.
“Clean hit,” McLellan told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. “Wasn’t even a charging penalty, in my opinion.”
Stoll left the game after the hit and didn’t return for the third period.
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter offered no update on his condition following the contest — though by not saying what the issue was, he shed some light on the situation.
“You know what? I didn’t play Jarret in the third period, and he wasn’t resting, so that pretty well tells you, doesn’t it?” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
As for Torres, he was of the same mindset as McLellan.
“I didn’t really think it was even going to be a penalty,” he said to CSN Bay Area. “They called it charging, I don’t think I launched myself. I took a step and a half, and glided into him.
“Obviously he was leaning over, and I still feel like I got a shoulder to his shoulder, and then it kind of looked because he was leaning over that I came up a little high. I didn’t even think it was going to be a penalty, but I hope he’s alright.”
Torres’ disciplinary history is well documented.
He was suspended 25 games (reduced to 21) for hitting Chicago’s Marian Hossa during last year’s playoffs and, prior to that, suspended for charging Minnesota’s Nate Prosser (two games) and elbowing Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle (four games).
UPDATE: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Torres has been offered an in-person hearing, which traditionally means the suspension will be for five or more games — though, as Dreger notes, it doesn’t have to be more than five.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5