May 15, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
Torres is suspended pending the outcome of his in-person hearing, and is being considered for supplemental discipline for “an illegal check to the head.”
The hit, which occurred with less than a minute remaining in the second period of Game 1 between the Sharks and Kings, netted Torres a two-minute charging minor:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, San Jose head coach Todd McLellan disagreed with the call, saying Torres’ hit wasn’t illegal.
“Clean hit,” McLellan told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. “Wasn’t even a charging penalty, in my opinion.”
Stoll left the game after the hit and didn’t return for the third period.
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter offered no update on his condition following the contest — though by not saying what the issue was, he shed some light on the situation.
“You know what? I didn’t play Jarret in the third period, and he wasn’t resting, so that pretty well tells you, doesn’t it?” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
As for Torres, he was of the same mindset as McLellan.
“I didn’t really think it was even going to be a penalty,” he said to CSN Bay Area. “They called it charging, I don’t think I launched myself. I took a step and a half, and glided into him.
“Obviously he was leaning over, and I still feel like I got a shoulder to his shoulder, and then it kind of looked because he was leaning over that I came up a little high. I didn’t even think it was going to be a penalty, but I hope he’s alright.”
Torres’ disciplinary history is well documented.
He was suspended 25 games (reduced to 21) for hitting Chicago’s Marian Hossa during last year’s playoffs and, prior to that, suspended for charging Minnesota’s Nate Prosser (two games) and elbowing Edmonton’s Jordan Eberle (four games).
UPDATE: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Torres has been offered an in-person hearing, which traditionally means the suspension will be for five or more games — though, as Dreger notes, it doesn’t have to be more than five.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4