May 15, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
In many cases, a game’s final score can be misleading. That’s especially true when an empty-net goal is involved, which was the case in the Chicago Blackhawks’ 4-1 win against the Detroit Red Wings in Game 1 on Wednesday.
The Blackhawks really did control the play during much of tonight’s game, however, and Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock didn’t sugarcoat the truth while discussing the contest with the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
“The score tonight, was more than fair as far as I’m concerned. They were better,” Babcock said. “I was hoping to come in here and steal a game.”
There were times when it seemed like Jimmy Howard might help his team do just that, but Chicago eventually broke through on its way to a 4-1 win. Babcock indicated that the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings at their own puck possession game.
“We didn’t put any pressure on them at all,” Babcock said. “It was a grinding game from our end cause we never get out of our zone.”
Detroit needs to find a way to put pressure on its soon-to-be-ex division rivals or this could be a pretty short second-round series.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)