May 15, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
In many cases, a game’s final score can be misleading. That’s especially true when an empty-net goal is involved, which was the case in the Chicago Blackhawks’ 4-1 win against the Detroit Red Wings in Game 1 on Wednesday.
The Blackhawks really did control the play during much of tonight’s game, however, and Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock didn’t sugarcoat the truth while discussing the contest with the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
“The score tonight, was more than fair as far as I’m concerned. They were better,” Babcock said. “I was hoping to come in here and steal a game.”
There were times when it seemed like Jimmy Howard might help his team do just that, but Chicago eventually broke through on its way to a 4-1 win. Babcock indicated that the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings at their own puck possession game.
“We didn’t put any pressure on them at all,” Babcock said. “It was a grinding game from our end cause we never get out of our zone.”
Detroit needs to find a way to put pressure on its soon-to-be-ex division rivals or this could be a pretty short second-round series.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 36
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)