May 15, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
In many cases, a game’s final score can be misleading. That’s especially true when an empty-net goal is involved, which was the case in the Chicago Blackhawks’ 4-1 win against the Detroit Red Wings in Game 1 on Wednesday.
The Blackhawks really did control the play during much of tonight’s game, however, and Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock didn’t sugarcoat the truth while discussing the contest with the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus.
“The score tonight, was more than fair as far as I’m concerned. They were better,” Babcock said. “I was hoping to come in here and steal a game.”
There were times when it seemed like Jimmy Howard might help his team do just that, but Chicago eventually broke through on its way to a 4-1 win. Babcock indicated that the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings at their own puck possession game.
“We didn’t put any pressure on them at all,” Babcock said. “It was a grinding game from our end cause we never get out of our zone.”
Detroit needs to find a way to put pressure on its soon-to-be-ex division rivals or this could be a pretty short second-round series.
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 1
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 36
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 42
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (134)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)