May 15, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
After failing to score a goal in an opening-round victory against the Capitals, Rick Nash says it’s a matter of time before he starts producing.
“I think the offense will come,” the Rangers forward told Newsday. “I was getting a few chances [Monday], got a few chances [Sunday]. That’s my main goal, trying to help the team win.”
Well, he’s certainly done that.
Despite recording just two assists against Washington, Nash contributed in other facets. He finished the series with a team-high 22 shots on goal and averaged close to 20 minutes per night while recording 11 hits, six blocked shots and two takeaways.
That said, both the Rangers and Nash know they’re not going anywhere without his offense.
The 28-year-old winger was the one constant goalscoring threat during the regular season, scoring a team-high 21 goals.
Nash was also one of the club’s big assets on the power play — so it was no surprise to see that, as his fortunes went, so too did the Rangers’ power play, which finished the Washington series an abysmal 2-for-28.
He lamented his poor production in Round 1, but tried to remain optimistic.
“It’s unfortunate that I can’t do it right now by bringing the offense,” Nash explained. “I’m just trying to make good defensive plays, try to set guys up, bring some momentum swings.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)