May 15, 2013, 1:35 PM EST
After failing to score a goal in an opening-round victory against the Capitals, Rick Nash says it’s a matter of time before he starts producing.
“I think the offense will come,” the Rangers forward told Newsday. “I was getting a few chances [Monday], got a few chances [Sunday]. That’s my main goal, trying to help the team win.”
Well, he’s certainly done that.
Despite recording just two assists against Washington, Nash contributed in other facets. He finished the series with a team-high 22 shots on goal and averaged close to 20 minutes per night while recording 11 hits, six blocked shots and two takeaways.
That said, both the Rangers and Nash know they’re not going anywhere without his offense.
The 28-year-old winger was the one constant goalscoring threat during the regular season, scoring a team-high 21 goals.
Nash was also one of the club’s big assets on the power play — so it was no surprise to see that, as his fortunes went, so too did the Rangers’ power play, which finished the Washington series an abysmal 2-for-28.
He lamented his poor production in Round 1, but tried to remain optimistic.
“It’s unfortunate that I can’t do it right now by bringing the offense,” Nash explained. “I’m just trying to make good defensive plays, try to set guys up, bring some momentum swings.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)