May 15, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
After failing to score a goal in an opening-round victory against the Capitals, Rick Nash says it’s a matter of time before he starts producing.
“I think the offense will come,” the Rangers forward told Newsday. “I was getting a few chances [Monday], got a few chances [Sunday]. That’s my main goal, trying to help the team win.”
Well, he’s certainly done that.
Despite recording just two assists against Washington, Nash contributed in other facets. He finished the series with a team-high 22 shots on goal and averaged close to 20 minutes per night while recording 11 hits, six blocked shots and two takeaways.
That said, both the Rangers and Nash know they’re not going anywhere without his offense.
The 28-year-old winger was the one constant goalscoring threat during the regular season, scoring a team-high 21 goals.
Nash was also one of the club’s big assets on the power play — so it was no surprise to see that, as his fortunes went, so too did the Rangers’ power play, which finished the Washington series an abysmal 2-for-28.
He lamented his poor production in Round 1, but tried to remain optimistic.
“It’s unfortunate that I can’t do it right now by bringing the offense,” Nash explained. “I’m just trying to make good defensive plays, try to set guys up, bring some momentum swings.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)