May 15, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
After failing to score a goal in an opening-round victory against the Capitals, Rick Nash says it’s a matter of time before he starts producing.
“I think the offense will come,” the Rangers forward told Newsday. “I was getting a few chances [Monday], got a few chances [Sunday]. That’s my main goal, trying to help the team win.”
Well, he’s certainly done that.
Despite recording just two assists against Washington, Nash contributed in other facets. He finished the series with a team-high 22 shots on goal and averaged close to 20 minutes per night while recording 11 hits, six blocked shots and two takeaways.
That said, both the Rangers and Nash know they’re not going anywhere without his offense.
The 28-year-old winger was the one constant goalscoring threat during the regular season, scoring a team-high 21 goals.
Nash was also one of the club’s big assets on the power play — so it was no surprise to see that, as his fortunes went, so too did the Rangers’ power play, which finished the Washington series an abysmal 2-for-28.
He lamented his poor production in Round 1, but tried to remain optimistic.
“It’s unfortunate that I can’t do it right now by bringing the offense,” Nash explained. “I’m just trying to make good defensive plays, try to set guys up, bring some momentum swings.”
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)