May 15, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
After leading the Islanders to their first playoff appearance since 2007 — and his first appearance since 2008 — Mark Streit made it clear he wants to stay on Long Island.
“I’ve said it all along, I want to be back,” the Islanders captain told Newsday. “I love it here, I love Long Island and the organization has been great to me.”
Here’s more, from Newsday:
Pat Brisson, Streit’s agent, and Isles general manager Garth Snow were set to resume talks that halted at the April 3 trade deadline, when Snow was not ready to agree to Streit’s request for a three-year deal in the $16-million range.
It is unknown whether either side is interested in agreeing to different terms. If not, the 35-year-old Streit will be in high demand when free agency begins on July 5.
Streit was a key member of the Isles this year. In addition to wearing the “C” for the second straight season, he led all New York defensemen in scoring (27 points) and finished second on the team in power play points, with eight.
Streit also tied John Tavares for the team playoff scoring lead (five points) and averaged over 20 minutes a night.
As alluded to in the Newsday column, there will likely be some suitors for Streit’s services.
He’s primed to enter unrestricted free agency at a time where defensemen are at a premium — he, along with Sergei Gonchar, Ron Hainsey, Robyn Regehr, Ryan Whitney and Marek Zidlicky figure to headline the class, which gives a pretty good idea of how shallow the class is.
Streit is in the final season of a five-year, $20.5 million deal that paid $4.1 million annually.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)