May 15, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Canadiens will be without their most physical defenseman to start the 2013-14 campaign.
The Russian rearguard is still recuperating from the torn ligaments, which have yet to be repaired via surgery.
Emelin, 27, led Montreal in hits this year (with 110) despite missing the final 10 games of the regular season.
He was injured while trying to throw a hit on Boston’s Milan Lucic:
The Gazette reports that, as a result of the Emelin injury, Jarred Tinordi will start the season with the Canadiens rather than their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
Montreal’s first-round (22nd overall) pick in 2010, Tinordi made his NHL debut this season, appearing in eight games with the Habs, notching two assists.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (67)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)