May 15, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
The Canadiens will be without their most physical defenseman to start the 2013-14 campaign.
The Russian rearguard is still recuperating from the torn ligaments, which have yet to be repaired via surgery.
Emelin, 27, led Montreal in hits this year (with 110) despite missing the final 10 games of the regular season.
He was injured while trying to throw a hit on Boston’s Milan Lucic:
The Gazette reports that, as a result of the Emelin injury, Jarred Tinordi will start the season with the Canadiens rather than their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
Montreal’s first-round (22nd overall) pick in 2010, Tinordi made his NHL debut this season, appearing in eight games with the Habs, notching two assists.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 12
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 41
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)