May 15, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
The Canadiens will be without their most physical defenseman to start the 2013-14 campaign.
The Russian rearguard is still recuperating from the torn ligaments, which have yet to be repaired via surgery.
Emelin, 27, led Montreal in hits this year (with 110) despite missing the final 10 games of the regular season.
He was injured while trying to throw a hit on Boston’s Milan Lucic:
The Gazette reports that, as a result of the Emelin injury, Jarred Tinordi will start the season with the Canadiens rather than their AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
Montreal’s first-round (22nd overall) pick in 2010, Tinordi made his NHL debut this season, appearing in eight games with the Habs, notching two assists.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)