Flames’ Cervenka signs with KHL team

May 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT

Cervenka Flames

After just one season with the Calgary Flames, Roman Cervenka is going back to the KHL. The 27-year-old Czech forward has reportedly signed a three-year contract to play for SKA St. Petersburg.

Cervenka had nine goals and eight assists in 39 games for the Flames. His signing in February of 2012 was enthusiastically trumpeted by Calgary general manager Jay Feaster.

“Roman is a highly skilled player with great hands, excellent vision and the ability to score goals at an elite level of play,” said Feaster in a release. “Our scouts in Europe identified him as someone who could slot into our top six forward group and play in the NHL as a top two line centre.  John Weisbrod went to see him play early in the KHL Playoffs and came away confirming everything we had heard from our scouts in Europe. We made an aggressive pitch to convince him that Calgary was the perfect place for him to start his NHL career, and we are extremely pleased Roman agreed. We look forward to welcoming him to the Flames and our great city.”

So much for that.

The search for centers continues in Calgary.

1. prd797 - May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

• prd797 - May 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I failed to embed. But this is the video of Jay Feaster’s reaction to this news.

2. 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Mike Ribiero’s phone must be blowing up right about now…

3. footballfan - May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I am betting as soon as the Pens season is over they will sign Iginla back to the team.

• 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Right. Because Iginla’s going to want to run right back to the Flames after finally remembering what it’s like to succeed for the first time in nine years. Dream on, bud.

• atwatercrushesokoye - May 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Initially I thought that might happen but Iginla sold his house in Calgary last month, I think he’s done with the Flames until the retire his number the first home game immediately after he calls it a career.

As for Cervenka, you could see the skill there but he just never fit in, I think he just had trouble adapting to the smaller ice and the different style that’s played over here.

4. timmylaz99 - May 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

With Feaster still in charge, I’d want to get out of Calgary as fast as I could!

5. cameltoews - May 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM

If I remember correctly didnt the flames think he was a center and when he actually showed up he told the team he was a winger? I’m pretty sure PHT had an article about that. I wouldn’t want to play for a team who truly doesn’t even know what position I play.

6. jacketsfan7 - May 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

@footballfan what’s that got to do with cervenka?

7. nananatman - May 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Umm isn’t it illegal to sign a contract while under contract?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches