May 15, 2013, 12:53 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks out-shot and out-hit the Los Angeles Kings, but that wasn’t good enough to get the win in Game 1. Instead, Los Angeles took a 1-0 series lead thanks to a 2-0 win on Tuesday.
Shall we gab?
- Jonathan Quick stopped 34 out of the 34 San Jose shots, earning his second shutout of the 2013 playoffs. Is he back (or at least close) to the all-world form that he displayed on his way to the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy and Stanley Cup?
- On the other hand, Antti Niemi was beaten twice on 20 attempts by the Kings. How much is this loss on his head? Can he match or best Quick often enough to eventually win this series?
- This series/game could be a good example for those who are into the “rest vs. rust” argument. Did the Sharks look a little groggy after the long break they received by sweeping the Vancouver Canucks? Will the bumps and bruises from edging the St. Louis Blues in six games eventually catch up with the Kings?
- Joe Thornton and Brent Burns had strong games despite going without a point while guys like Logan Couture were frustrated in Game 1. Who needs to step up the most for the Sharks?
- If you were to put together a playoff power rankings list, where would Los Angeles rank? Where are the defending champions in the pecking order?
- Do you expect this series to remain low-scoring?
- Which Western Conference final matchup would you like to see the most this year?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)