May 15, 2013, 12:53 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks out-shot and out-hit the Los Angeles Kings, but that wasn’t good enough to get the win in Game 1. Instead, Los Angeles took a 1-0 series lead thanks to a 2-0 win on Tuesday.
Shall we gab?
- Jonathan Quick stopped 34 out of the 34 San Jose shots, earning his second shutout of the 2013 playoffs. Is he back (or at least close) to the all-world form that he displayed on his way to the 2012 Conn Smythe Trophy and Stanley Cup?
- On the other hand, Antti Niemi was beaten twice on 20 attempts by the Kings. How much is this loss on his head? Can he match or best Quick often enough to eventually win this series?
- This series/game could be a good example for those who are into the “rest vs. rust” argument. Did the Sharks look a little groggy after the long break they received by sweeping the Vancouver Canucks? Will the bumps and bruises from edging the St. Louis Blues in six games eventually catch up with the Kings?
- Joe Thornton and Brent Burns had strong games despite going without a point while guys like Logan Couture were frustrated in Game 1. Who needs to step up the most for the Sharks?
- If you were to put together a playoff power rankings list, where would Los Angeles rank? Where are the defending champions in the pecking order?
- Do you expect this series to remain low-scoring?
- Which Western Conference final matchup would you like to see the most this year?
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)