Discuss: Blackhawks wear down Red Wings

May 15, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT

hossagetty Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks won their 800th all-time meeting against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, taking a 1-0 series lead by a score of 4-1.

Let’s chat about Game 1.

• For Blackhawks fans: how nervous were you about Jimmy Howard stealing a game when it was still 1-1 in the third period?
  • Howard stopped 38 out of 41 shots (one goal was an empty-netter), showing casual fans why the Red Wings gave him that big contract extension. Can he be enough of a difference-maker for Detroit to win this series?
  • Speaking of goalies, what book do you think Corey Crawford was reading the second period (he faced just five shots on goal then)?
  • Which Red Wings player(s) need to step up the most in Game 2? Is this a matter of star players picking things up or do they simply need more help in a star-studded series?
  • Patrick Kane isn’t exactly laboring out there with six assists in as many games, but is there any concern about his goal-scoring struggles? He narrowly missed scoring an empty-netter, for example.
  • Tough question of the night: who’s the best player on the ice in this series? So many choices …
  1. joeandcambria - May 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM

When you get doubled in shots on net, it’s going to be a bad time. The entire team (except Howard) looked pathetic out there. Smith needs to sit a game with how he’s played lately, his turnovers have been way too costly. Pairing Zetterberg and Datsyuk isn’t going to work against the Hawks depth, and shouldn’t have been done in the third. Hopefully we play better next game, otherwise I see this only lasting 4 games.

• polegojim - May 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Smith has been HORRENDOUS… a boy amongst men.. Wish we had an option.

• gekkoguy82 - May 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM

He’s like a bonehead play jukebox. Give him money and select the mistake you’d like him to commit. He’ll make it happen.

• dtownbeatdown - May 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Couldnt agree more, Smith has just been absolutely terrible. Kindl comes in a close second. If I see Kindl get a shot blocked one more time I am going to rip out my hair.

2. ineedmorehossa - May 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I need more Hossa

• 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM

10-4 good buddy.

3. scoregasmic - May 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Jimmy Howard has looked incredible lately. Maybe it’s just cause I haven’t watched enough wings games but I don’t remember him being this good. Tough loss.

• bensawesomeness - May 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Jimmy plays average to above-average in the regular season, but last 2-3 seasons he’s had another gear in the playoffs

2 years ago, we were down 3-0 in the series to the Sharks. Jimmy stole 2 of the 3 games we needed to get back in it and tie it up at 3-3 ( lost game 7 )

Jimmy’s been excellent and i’m very pleased to have him signed

4. hammerhead5573 - May 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Very nice. Oduya can frustrate u one second and score a goal the next. Howard played great in goal but his defense was nowhere to be found. Hopefully hawks keep it going

5. prd797 - May 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

One stat tells the story of the game: 18-1 for scoring chances in favour of the Hawks. The Wings would have been obliterated if not for Howard’s stellar play.

6. ashtongronholz8 - May 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

MN put up a better fight

• polegojim - May 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM

NOT even remotely.

• comeonnowguys - May 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Nope. This game was entertaining start to finish. Minnesota got to turtly at times.

7. bensawesomeness - May 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I think ultimately a few things come into play here

1, first and foremost, the Hawks are a very good team. Championship caliber. but not unbeatable (nobody is)
    2, Wings offence needed spark, deference needed to remember who they’re playing but not get scared
    3, the Wings did just finish off a very physical 7 game series with the Ducks, flying back and forth to the west coast and time zones aplenty. Couldn’t have possibly been 100%

Wings needed more shots less scramble

looking forward to this one, guys

8. blackhawksdynasty - May 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Where’s the genius highcountrybear now????? I thought the Hawks were going to be “schooled”???
    One sided game, although I don’t expect many more of those going forward. 2 more times these teams will get 2 days off between games, so Detroit should get their legs back. Certainly not a done deal for Chicago. Oh, and I think Howard is deserving of that contract.

9. sprtsfan1 - May 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

What a great series this will be! Do NOT hang your heads Detroit fans. You just played a tough series against a Ducks team that beat the Hawk’s butt a few times this season. This series is not over by any means.

• comeonnowguys - May 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I get what you’re saying, but two of those were shootout losses, and two of those games were without Hossa and Sharp.

Totally agreed on the not hanging of heads, etc.

10. 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Detroit got outshot 42-21, beaten in the faceoff circle, pinned in their own end for most of the second and third periods, and looked unable to find the extra gear they brought out several times against Anaheim. It would be one thing if they were generating chances and being stoned by Crawford, but… they weren’t. The ‘Hawks just controlled the entire second half of the game or so. Howard’s superb play was the only reason this wasn’t a rerun of that 7-1 beatdown in the regular season.

11. thehighcountrybear - May 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM

blackhawksdynasty:

Yeah, sorry…missed the game I was actually playing hockey today and having a rollicking good time afterward! The pub had the game on who cared with cougar season under way…?

Can’t beat summer hockey. It has waaaaay more attraction than being buried in a little blue screen or being buried in a man pit jacking off and watching the Hawks? Try getting out and getting some exercise and maybe some sun…broaden your mind!

Noticeably absent this afternoon was the hammerhead pimp? The boys brought cameras to the rink for the yard sale to come but the living proof of the missing link was nowhere to be seen…

• dt58 - May 16, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Wow…that is weak. Keep this sorry ass excuse in mind before you go on your ridicuously long and uninformed rants that nobody gives 2 sh!ts about.

• hammerhead5573 - May 16, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Sorry I don’t have EA13 for Xbox, but I’m happy you had a good time. Must be frustrating though when 7 and 8 year olds are beating you all the time. Not sure if EA has a support line for cry babies who lose in a video game but I’m sure you researched that one already. Let me guess they are all lucky bounces when they score on you, is that correct? For my part, I was working today, supporting my family. Then relaxing watching a great game of hockey.

• florida727 - May 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

“highcountry”, I’m curious. Are you inherently this ignorant or did you have to go to school to learn how? If it’s genetics, I guess I’m out of luck. Oh well, worth asking just to check. By the way, try Hooked On Phonics. It does wonders for most pre-schoolers.

12. jpat2424 - May 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM

gmenfan1982
    May 15, 2013, 8:15 PM CDT
    Video doesn’t work on the app.

larrybiv
    May 15, 2013, 9:29 PM CDT
    No it doesn’t. Oops.

sjsharks66
    May 15, 2013, 9:30 PM CDT
    Stick the the back of the head? What about the elbow from Shaw? Lol

Dont worry blackhawk fans. No suspensions for these. Cant ruin the favorites chances.

19wasthebest
    May 15, 2013, 9:47 PM CDT
    You can tell who the NHL favorites are. I counted I don’t know how many penalties that could have been called and was not. But Hossa dives and Kronner gets called. But they get away with the hit on Abby a couple interference calls and holding the stick

prd797
    May 15, 2013, 10:05 PM CDT
    Pretty sure Shaw got popped in the face by an elbow from Kindl as well and that won’t see a suspension either. Whatever, sh*t happens, it’s the playoffs. I would say you should worry about your guy Torres getting the book thrown at him, but who knows what number Mr. Shanahan’s wheel of justice will land on.

sprtsfan1
    May 15, 2013, 10:20 PM CDT
    Haha! What Rotzi did was legal sorry to disappoint the ignorance. I played hockey my whole life and if someone comes at you, you can get yours stick in their face and make them regret coming at you. Part of the game. End of story.

blackhawksdynasty
    May 15, 2013, 10:23 PM CDT
    @sjs: I’m turning off the baby monitor, too much crying. WAHH!!!!!!!!!! the “favorites” win – again!!!!! WAHH!!!!!!!

blackhawksdynasty
    May 15, 2013, 10:26 PM CDT
    ***see above crybaby post***
    Typical “blame the refs for your team getting their a$$es kicked”
    This is the NHL, not the NBA. They got outplayed dude, get over it.

chanceoffleury1
    May 15, 2013, 10:35 PM CDT
    You still have to be in control of your stick just as you would your elbow or whatnot. If that wasn’t the case then cross checking, slashing, and high sticking wouldn’t be penalties. Sticks can cause some pretty serious damage when used recklessly.

jpat2424
    May 15, 2013, 10:45 PM CDT
    Great game. Hawks and wings fans. Don’t mind the call on Shaw. But get it right. It wasn’t Boarding thats for sure. It was and non intentional elbow Rozsial got away with one. But not intentional. The score didn’t reflect the outcome. Seems like hockey rules and penalties change game by game. Gonna be a tough and tight series. It will be fun that’s for sure.

spavs412
    May 15, 2013, 11:05 PM CDT
    Cross check main point of contact is the head….

13. sprtsfan1 - May 16, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Highcountry Bear: Go back to playing hockey and stop posting your non sense on these boards if you don’t care so much. It sounds like you have too interesting a life to blast Chicago anyways.

14. jpat2424 - May 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM

THCB D Bag. Always have been and always will be. Don’t believe you were playing hockey tonight cause your Mom wont let you out of her basement.

15. thehighcountrybear - May 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM

sprtsfan1:

Dude…I love the blues, I love architecture and design and I love Chicago accordingly. I like the Hawks, they were my dad’s team and they’re my favourite team behind Wings and always have been! Last time I checked, ordinance prohibiting lampoon of their foibles and follies has not been passed at any level?

Still, a minority of Hawks fans in these boards, like fans of other teams in other boards, pleasure themselves while kicking dirt on other posters. Then, they snivel and go all limp dick when they get their idiocy fed back by the shovelful! It’s meant to be a lesson in civics, nothing more…

Anyone can throw dirt, the trick is to do it with a bit of style!

And, ‘nonsense’ is relative term, particularly in the realm of the blog: eighty percent of blogs posts anywhere present mindless, repetitive and derivative tripe, this in keeping with journalism and sports journalism anywhere. What separates the good from the bad for me is interest. My interest is the theatre of the absurd, and for the most part my material is meant to be absurd. Surely no one can criticize effort at creativity while they themselves languish while wallowing in the bland?

Me, I scan for people’s handles, seeking those who are either funny, sarcastic, embittered and jaded, or who demonstrate an understanding of the game commensurate with my own, player or not? There is rich material available for the discriminating eye?

Do the same, skip over my responses if they offend, it’s easy…

• comeonnowguys - May 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa…. whoa.

Whoa.

What happened to the “anybody but the Blackhawks” platform? I understand getting sick of the fans who say five-game-win-streak = championship mandate, but you’ve been taking the exact opposite tack, as if you were a Flyers fan living in Pittsburgh having to throw a Stanley Cup viewing party.

16. thehighcountrybear - May 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM

sprtsfan1, dt58 and japat2424:

Arrow hit the mark…?

• dt58 - May 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

“Hit the mark”…? You’d think after all these people in here keep telling you to shut up that you would, you know, SHUT UP. You have nothing intelligent to say, all you do is jibber on about how “the Hawks can’t win” and how much you know about the game. People that know things don’t need to tell people that they know things, other people notice it. Besides, if you knew as much about hockey as you think you do, you’d be coaching right now and not jerking off into your sock in your parents basement.

17. indianhead1992 - May 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I enjoy this rivalry! I can’t believe its being water down next year. even though it is a big rivalry both wings and hawks fans can come on here and talk about the game with out drama. its nice when there are not dirty hits and the game is played the right way. I will miss these games. much respect for both organizations and fan bases! Go Hawks!

18. imauggiedoggie - May 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM

…all i’m gonna say is: it’s only game one

19. michiganhockey11 - May 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Smith was freaking terrible last night. Chicago’s first goal wa completely on him. Puck came right to him on the boards and he made no effort to ensure he go to it fast and get it out of the zone. Did he forget he was on the penalty kill?

20. colonelfancy - May 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Cro did make some amazing saves to ensure the B’Hawks win, but too much depth and too many weapons for a Detroit team that seemed exhausted after a 7 game grueler against the Ducks. They might steal a game, but this is ending in 5. BTW, my favorite goal celebrations come from Marian Hossa. I believe Nik Lidstrom said last year during the NHL 36 series that it never gets old to score a goal, and everytime I see Hossa score, it looks like he just won the lottery!!

21. dtownbeatdown - May 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM

All I have to say is WOW, Chicago has it in them to win the cup… As much as it hurts me to admit that, that team made the Wings look like a juniors team yesterday. I knew after the second with a 1-1 tie, I felt like we already lost. Wings have no fight, no grit, clearing the puck to the neutral zone every-time is not going to get you a win.. Relying on our stellar goalie is not going to get it done…

Smith is garbage and needs to be benched, I don’t think it is possible, if anything Babcock will reward him with more playing time to “regain his confidence.”

22. imauggiedoggie - May 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

…on the kronwallian radar: and, these ‘blips’ are getting larger ~ hossa, toews, kane, oduya, seabrook, sharp, and the rest of the nest of birdies

• comeonnowguys - May 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Which one’s the bleep, which one’s the sweep, and which one’s the creep?

• dt58 - May 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

comeonnowguys…love the Spaceballs quote

23. scamp516dp - May 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Hawks and Red Wings both should have gone East! That is where real hockey is played. No matter the sport time zones are no excuse. Play the game, shoot the puck, defend your man, let the best team win!

24. frozenmona68 - May 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Is it just me or did the wings lose their “mojo”? There is something very interesting about the way they play. You can see it every time! When they spend minute after minute chasing the puck, they, 9 times out of 10 lose the game. But when they keep control, it’s amazing. The attitude on the ice changes, they all change the way they look when they’re out there. I know, it goes without saying, control the puck – chances of winning are increased greatly. But it’s just something about the way they play. When they started the 2nd period, and I watched them miss passes, not play down at Hawk’s end, it was only a matter of time (40 minutes) before they lost that game. They almost seem like the type of team who just play better when the odds are against them….

I know, I’m just saying the same stuff over and over…. And I might add, thank God for Howard! That game would have been really ugly.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches