May 15, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello enthusiastically promoted the recently confirmed announcement of an outdoor game against the New York Rangers, which will take place on Jan. 26 at Yankee Stadium.
The location means a lot to Lamoriello – who has ties to the Yankees organization – as he told the Bergen Record.
“I just think it’s going to be a tremendous experience for everybody concerned – the fans, the players – with the whole environment of Yankee Stadium,” Lamoriello said. “It’s a special place.”
He said that having six outdoor contests doesn’t really detract from the positive impact of returning to the roots of the games – even if many of the players involved may not have even had that many experiences playing in outdoor rinks.
“This is an outdoor event. This is an experience,” Lamoriello said. “This like when you play pond hockey, which is how the roots started. The wind, the cold, all of that stuff, the players are going to enjoy. They’re not really old enough to enjoy that this is the way it really started, but they’re going to experience something special.
“That’s how I learned how to play – on the pond, outside. I think it’s just going to be a lot of nostalgia because of that.”
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 20
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 10
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 35
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79