May 15, 2013, 6:55 PM EST
New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello enthusiastically promoted the recently confirmed announcement of an outdoor game against the New York Rangers, which will take place on Jan. 26 at Yankee Stadium.
The location means a lot to Lamoriello – who has ties to the Yankees organization – as he told the Bergen Record.
“I just think it’s going to be a tremendous experience for everybody concerned – the fans, the players – with the whole environment of Yankee Stadium,” Lamoriello said. “It’s a special place.”
He said that having six outdoor contests doesn’t really detract from the positive impact of returning to the roots of the games – even if many of the players involved may not have even had that many experiences playing in outdoor rinks.
“This is an outdoor event. This is an experience,” Lamoriello said. “This like when you play pond hockey, which is how the roots started. The wind, the cold, all of that stuff, the players are going to enjoy. They’re not really old enough to enjoy that this is the way it really started, but they’re going to experience something special.
“That’s how I learned how to play – on the pond, outside. I think it’s just going to be a lot of nostalgia because of that.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)