May 15, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello enthusiastically promoted the recently confirmed announcement of an outdoor game against the New York Rangers, which will take place on Jan. 26 at Yankee Stadium.
The location means a lot to Lamoriello – who has ties to the Yankees organization – as he told the Bergen Record.
“I just think it’s going to be a tremendous experience for everybody concerned – the fans, the players – with the whole environment of Yankee Stadium,” Lamoriello said. “It’s a special place.”
He said that having six outdoor contests doesn’t really detract from the positive impact of returning to the roots of the games – even if many of the players involved may not have even had that many experiences playing in outdoor rinks.
“This is an outdoor event. This is an experience,” Lamoriello said. “This like when you play pond hockey, which is how the roots started. The wind, the cold, all of that stuff, the players are going to enjoy. They’re not really old enough to enjoy that this is the way it really started, but they’re going to experience something special.
“That’s how I learned how to play – on the pond, outside. I think it’s just going to be a lot of nostalgia because of that.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)