May 15, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello enthusiastically promoted the recently confirmed announcement of an outdoor game against the New York Rangers, which will take place on Jan. 26 at Yankee Stadium.
The location means a lot to Lamoriello – who has ties to the Yankees organization – as he told the Bergen Record.
“I just think it’s going to be a tremendous experience for everybody concerned – the fans, the players – with the whole environment of Yankee Stadium,” Lamoriello said. “It’s a special place.”
He said that having six outdoor contests doesn’t really detract from the positive impact of returning to the roots of the games – even if many of the players involved may not have even had that many experiences playing in outdoor rinks.
“This is an outdoor event. This is an experience,” Lamoriello said. “This like when you play pond hockey, which is how the roots started. The wind, the cold, all of that stuff, the players are going to enjoy. They’re not really old enough to enjoy that this is the way it really started, but they’re going to experience something special.
“That’s how I learned how to play – on the pond, outside. I think it’s just going to be a lot of nostalgia because of that.”
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)