May 15, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello enthusiastically promoted the recently confirmed announcement of an outdoor game against the New York Rangers, which will take place on Jan. 26 at Yankee Stadium.
The location means a lot to Lamoriello – who has ties to the Yankees organization – as he told the Bergen Record.
“I just think it’s going to be a tremendous experience for everybody concerned – the fans, the players – with the whole environment of Yankee Stadium,” Lamoriello said. “It’s a special place.”
He said that having six outdoor contests doesn’t really detract from the positive impact of returning to the roots of the games – even if many of the players involved may not have even had that many experiences playing in outdoor rinks.
“This is an outdoor event. This is an experience,” Lamoriello said. “This like when you play pond hockey, which is how the roots started. The wind, the cold, all of that stuff, the players are going to enjoy. They’re not really old enough to enjoy that this is the way it really started, but they’re going to experience something special.
“That’s how I learned how to play – on the pond, outside. I think it’s just going to be a lot of nostalgia because of that.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)