May 14, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have fired head coach Glen Gulutzan.
The club made the announcement on Monday, also parting ways with assistant coach Paul Jerrard.
Dallas’ other assistant coach, Curt Fraser, has been retained, as has goaltending coach Mike Valley.
Gulutzan, 41, replaced Marc Crawford as head coach in 2011 and posted a 64-57-9 record with the Stars over two seasons at the helm.
Gulutzan’s days seemed numbered in Dallas when the GM that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was fired in late April and replaced by former Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
As for who’ll replace Gulutzan…
AHL Texas head coach Willie Desjardins has to be considered a leading candidate. He captured the American League’s coach of the year honors this season and has done a fine job of grooming a number of young prospects that have played with Dallas at the NHL level.
Another name to keep an eye on could be Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault, who is on the hottest of hot seats in Vancouver at the moment.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is a British Columbia native and once tried to purchase the Canucks (before losing out to current owner Francesco Aquilini.)
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)