May 14, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have fired head coach Glen Gulutzan.
The club made the announcement on Monday, also parting ways with assistant coach Paul Jerrard.
Dallas’ other assistant coach, Curt Fraser, has been retained, as has goaltending coach Mike Valley.
Gulutzan, 41, replaced Marc Crawford as head coach in 2011 and posted a 64-57-9 record with the Stars over two seasons at the helm.
Gulutzan’s days seemed numbered in Dallas when the GM that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was fired in late April and replaced by former Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
As for who’ll replace Gulutzan…
AHL Texas head coach Willie Desjardins has to be considered a leading candidate. He captured the American League’s coach of the year honors this season and has done a fine job of grooming a number of young prospects that have played with Dallas at the NHL level.
Another name to keep an eye on could be Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault, who is on the hottest of hot seats in Vancouver at the moment.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is a British Columbia native and once tried to purchase the Canucks (before losing out to current owner Francesco Aquilini.)
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 48
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)