May 14, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have fired head coach Glen Gulutzan.
The club made the announcement on Monday, also parting ways with assistant coach Paul Jerrard.
Dallas’ other assistant coach, Curt Fraser, has been retained, as has goaltending coach Mike Valley.
Gulutzan, 41, replaced Marc Crawford as head coach in 2011 and posted a 64-57-9 record with the Stars over two seasons at the helm.
Gulutzan’s days seemed numbered in Dallas when the GM that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was fired in late April and replaced by former Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
As for who’ll replace Gulutzan…
AHL Texas head coach Willie Desjardins has to be considered a leading candidate. He captured the American League’s coach of the year honors this season and has done a fine job of grooming a number of young prospects that have played with Dallas at the NHL level.
Another name to keep an eye on could be Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault, who is on the hottest of hot seats in Vancouver at the moment.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is a British Columbia native and once tried to purchase the Canucks (before losing out to current owner Francesco Aquilini.)
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)