May 14, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have fired head coach Glen Gulutzan.
The club made the announcement on Monday, also parting ways with assistant coach Paul Jerrard.
Dallas’ other assistant coach, Curt Fraser, has been retained, as has goaltending coach Mike Valley.
Gulutzan, 41, replaced Marc Crawford as head coach in 2011 and posted a 64-57-9 record with the Stars over two seasons at the helm.
Gulutzan’s days seemed numbered in Dallas when the GM that hired him, Joe Nieuwendyk, was fired in late April and replaced by former Wings assistant GM Jim Nill.
As for who’ll replace Gulutzan…
AHL Texas head coach Willie Desjardins has to be considered a leading candidate. He captured the American League’s coach of the year honors this season and has done a fine job of grooming a number of young prospects that have played with Dallas at the NHL level.
Another name to keep an eye on could be Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault, who is on the hottest of hot seats in Vancouver at the moment.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi is a British Columbia native and once tried to purchase the Canucks (before losing out to current owner Francesco Aquilini.)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)