May 14, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins made things look fairly easy against the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday, taking a 1-0 series lead thanks to a 4-1 win. Sens head coach Paul MacLean told the Ottawa Citizen that it might be good to get the team’s worst game out of the way early.
“If we had any kind of stage fright or youthful jitters, that should be behind us and now it’s up to us to make it a series,” MacLean said.
Speaking of youthful jitters, Erik Karlsson was his usually frank self about the game and a turnover in specific.
“We want to come out of our end with the puck, but you know, sometimes [expletive] happens,” Karlsson said.
“They played a little bit better than we did today. We’ve got to come out better next game and be more prepared. They scored an early goal and that set us back a bit.”
It’s too easy to blame one player in a pretty lopsided game, yet some might point to Craig Anderson. The Sens’ No. 1 goalie took some responsibility for the defeat.
“It wasn’t good enough, we have to be better and that starts with myself, giving my team a chance to win,” Anderson said. “You’ve got to lead by example, go out there and do the job … you can always be better. At the end of the day, I didn’t stop ‘em.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)